The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Radiator install (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20608)

BordeauxComet 08-11-2004 10:09 PM

Radiator install

I finally got my new radiator and I am going to put it in tomorrow or this weekend. I found the How-to documents on how to install it, so I should be good there. I just have two questions:

1: The new radiator is for 95-97 SVX's (I have a 94). Is the same type of anti-freeze used for all years?

2: I was told there isn't really anything different (between the old radiators and the new ones) as far as the installation goes. Is that right? I just wanted to double check.

Thanks,
-Nathan

SubaSteevo 08-11-2004 10:17 PM

Yes and yes

Just use the green Prestone stuff, installation is pretty easy, took me about 2 hours if I remember. PM me if you have any q's

Earthworm 08-12-2004 06:54 PM

All SVX's use the same radiator. Installation is very straightforward.

SVXRide 08-12-2004 07:14 PM

It's really a very easy install. You might want to consider replacing both the upper and lower hoses and the two power steering hoses that run down along the passenger's side of the radiator if you find that they've been leaking once you get under the car. Make sure to have a large coffee can ready when you disconnect the transmission lines from the existing radiator - you'll need it to catch the trans fluid that will drip out. Also replace the stock hose clamps with new ones - make sure not to over tighten them as you'll be clamping down on plastic, not metal.
-Bill

BordeauxComet 08-12-2004 08:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys

There are 2 different radiators (1 for 92-94 and another for 95-97). From an old thread:

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
The new radiator wont have the mesh screen in the tranny cooling portion so it shouldnt get clogged if you are still using that as a cooler.
I guess that's the only difference.
Anyways, I got the new one installed today. Went fine, took about 2 hrs. If I had thought about it when I ordered the radiator, I would have ordered the hoses as well. I just used the old ones for now, they weren't in too bad shape, but I'll feel better when I replace those later.

Thanks,
Nathan

SVXRide 08-13-2004 09:55 AM

Nathan,
It's my understanding that there is only one style of radiator you can get now -- Subaru totally eliminated the screen in the trans cooler part of the radiator due to the potential for clogging. It's good news, as you can only get the "best" radiator from Subaru now (okay, so it still has plastic upper and lower tanks....).
Glad to hear your install went well. Did the fans bolt on without any stress on the bolt flanges? I had to open up the holes on the fan housings so there wouldn't be any side load on the bolts.
-Bill

BordeauxComet 08-13-2004 04:03 PM

I heard others had some problems getting everything to line up, but I had no problems.

You might be right about Subaru only selling one version now. Do you know if this is something recent? Because a few months ago there were 2 different prices (the later version being more expensive) but when I ordered mine, the prices were the same.