The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Rarity (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36437)

Osilith 12-07-2006 10:42 AM

SVX Rarity

hey guys a guy here in Canton NC has a 94 SVX Green and I already have a 92 SVX White with Black top and I can't decide which one is the rarer of the two...and which one I should fix up first....what do you guys think the green one has a touring package.

thanks Joe

dcarrb 12-07-2006 11:01 AM

Don't know about the numbers, but the pearl is certainly the most distinctive of the two.

I'm sort-of in the same boat. Both of mine need paint and I'm leaning toward having the silver done first, but it's still in out-patient rehab, mechanically speaking, whereas the teal is pretty-much squared away in every respect except appearance. Decisions.

dcb

mikecg 12-07-2006 11:42 AM

92 was one of the highest production years. I've seen alot of peralies, but only a couple greens. Both are rare, but neither are really considered collectors by anyone outside of our community.

bwb3 12-07-2006 02:45 PM

The 1994 is Emerald Pearl, different from the other greens. Has a bit of a blue cast at some angles.
Gene

michael 12-11-2006 08:19 PM

How's that volvo project coming along? I had a 242gt orange stripes and all!

bwb3 12-12-2006 07:38 AM

Quote:

How's that volvo project coming along? I had a 242gt orange stripes and all!
The 5.0 engine is rebuilt, BW Racic 5 speed is in great shape, finally got all the wiring harnesses and ECU. Just need to order the conversion kit from Converse Engineering http://www.converseengineering.com/. Then out comes the B21turbo.
Gene

lhopp77 12-12-2006 07:42 AM

Cost

1 Attachment(s)
I don't like greens at all, but as to cost of painting it is definitely cheaper to paint a green than a pearlie.

The pearlies require an additional color layer of paint over all of the others, so paint costs much more. The paint alone for the pearl only (no black) costs nearly $1000 for quality paint. :(

Now is you can find a good 94 pearlie it will be more of a collector than the green or 92 pearlie. If you find a 95 pearlie---I want to see it (since they didn't make any US models).

Lee

svxistentialist 12-12-2006 10:27 AM

Repainted pearlie that is well done will look much nicer than the green.

On the other hand, I think that Emerald green colour is one of the rarest around.

For my money, I would do the white car, but do it WELL. Like Lee says, spend the money on good paint, the look and sheen of it will repay the cost.

Joe

michael 12-12-2006 05:23 PM

Personally I don't care for either, I like silver and black. If I were you I would repaint the green one, I never see those. Lots of teal and pearlies but no green ones. ihopp77 is right in saying it is expensive, it is also very difficult to match your existing paint. I don't think you have plans on stripping the car down to a shell so you will have mismatches in the engine bay and trunk areas. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a silver one.

svxistentialist 12-12-2006 05:33 PM

We were doing an exercise to identify colours, and I noticed the silver and black only sold in the US in '92.

Why is that?

Was it poorly received, or did it not sell well?

It was the most popular in Japan, and sold well in England as well. It must be a fairly rare colour in the States.

Joe

Earthworm 12-12-2006 05:36 PM

At our 10th anniversary meet we had only 3 silvers and 3 blues. Plenty of the other colours.

svxistentialist 12-12-2006 06:00 PM

Looks to be so David

I looked through the Swiss and German SVX sites recently, checking on colours. In Germany I could only see one silver car.

This is sorta strange, if you take into account the common perception that German cars look best in silver.

This rule of thumb applies pretty well to Audi, Porsche, BMW and Mercedes cars. So it might seem to follow that the Germans would buy more of the silver cars.

Not so. Maybe they were put off by the black roof?

Who knows?

Joe:)

michael 12-12-2006 08:01 PM

I've been under the common perception that all cars look best in silver. :D or at least any non-organic color eg. silver, charcoal, black, some shades of silver like with a blue tint. I feel as though it's a machine why shouldn't it look like one. It makes it looks like it means business!

svxistentialist 12-13-2006 01:25 AM

:D :D

I've got a mate Andy who thinks all cars should be RED.:)

He has a thing about red, mind. He puts ketchup on tomatoes, because he thinks they are not red enough.

Joe:)

dcarrb 12-13-2006 05:01 AM

I never gave much thought to colors and really like the teal, but once I had that silver SVX in my driveway, even needing new paint, it looks awesome and turns heads everywhere I go. The teal looks more stealthy, especially since it has no wing.

Funny how color preferences change over time. I'll bet silver would be most popular by far if the SVX were reintroduced today.

dcb