The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   External tranny filter change question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35648)

CaribooSVX 10-15-2006 10:49 AM

External tranny filter change question

I have the external tranny filter on my newly purchesed 1992 SVX. I have plans to change it in the near future as I do not know when it was last changed if at all sine it's installation in Jan. 98 when the tranny was also replaced.
It seems simple enogh to change but I have two questions.

1) When you disconnect the two clamps and remove the hoses , does a large amount of tranny fluid come out.?

2) Is there an in and out with the two hoses as in the fuel filter.Once out I do not want to mix up which hose goes where. ?

Thanks

Peter

BIRD 10-16-2006 12:44 PM

I changed mine Sat, it was the original from 92, my guess. 67,000 miles on it. I picked up the filter from a local Subaru dealer for $11.78, which was the entire external filter kit, hoses, etc. It was very easy to change. When removing the old tranny filter, just pull one hose off at a time, and use your finger to stop it, put the new one on, paying attention to the correct flow, and extremely little fluid dribbles out. Only what was in the old filter was lost, and in my case the tranny dipstick still read full after the filter was replaced. Good luck.

svxcess 10-16-2006 01:04 PM

The top of the filter (where the hoses connect) should be marked. The center hose inlet tube should say IN and the tube toward the outside should say OUT.

CaribooSVX 10-16-2006 01:37 PM

Tranny filter question

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIRD
I changed mine Sat, it was the original from 92, my guess. 67,000 miles on it. I picked up the filter from a local Subaru dealer for $11.78, which was the entire external filter kit, hoses, etc. It was very easy to change. When removing the old tranny filter, just pull one hose off at a time, and use your finger to stop it, put the new one on, paying attention to the correct flow, and extremely little fluid dribbles out. Only what was in the old filter was lost, and in my case the tranny dipstick still read full after the filter was replaced. Good luck.

Thanks for the relpy.

BIRD : do you happen to have the part number for the kit. I'm sure it must be the same number for up here in Canada.

I've talked to two different Subaru parts people and they are somewhat clueless as to this part and I want to make sure I have the right part before I order it.

Thanks

Peter

dcarrb 10-16-2006 02:12 PM

The part number is 31099AA091. It's in-stock at Subaruparts.com for $9.53 plus shipping.

Understand this is a filter kit intended for a Legacy. Your SVX must have the proper mounting bracket in place.

dcb