The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New to the SVX family; first problems: noises... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43851)

Stilor 03-19-2008 02:15 PM

New to the SVX family; first problems: noises...

Hi everybody,

We've bought an SVX recently; nice car, I have always admired its design and finally I own one :) '96, black, LSi.

However, it came with some (hopefully small) problems - which went unnoticed when I bought it.

First, when the engine starts cold, there is some screeching noise for about 10-15 seconds. Then it runs smoothly, without producing any bad noises/vibration. Engine oil is okay, clear and 1/2" above the "L" level. Timing/driving belts were replaced by the previous owner recently. What could it be?

Also, there is a slight screeching noise when a sharp left turn is made. I suspect CV joint. However, what puzzles me is that the noise is screeching, like a friction, not a clicking/cranking sound. Since it has only started a couple of days ago, I hope the joints did not take any damage and the repair needed will only be grease/boot replacement.

However, if it is a joint failure and a joint or half-shaft is to be replaced, what are the ballpark estimates for the cost of repairs and the time it takes? I tried to check availability of half-shaft assemblies and only found re-manufactured ones - how reliable are they? Are new ones available?

I scheduled an appointment on Friday with the dealer where we bought the other vehicle in our family, Capitol Subaru of San Jose. However, I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a good mechanic for SVX in the Bay Area, preferably in the south bay.

Thanks in advance!

Wikedjuggalo 03-19-2008 02:29 PM

O.k I'd suggest staying away from the deal because well they like to charge an arm and a leg and another arm. But the rattling might be CV joint and I will suggest because I just had this happen if the screeching noise gets worse or persists then get it looked at. Turns out that my timing pulley's bearings were shot. GL and I hope they find nothing major.

kwren 03-19-2008 03:37 PM

Part of your problem could be as simple as...

the new belts not being not being properly adjusted.

kwren 03-19-2008 03:40 PM

rebuilt cv half shafts

are only about 60 bucks exchange

{Screeching doesn't sound like cv shafts}

techy101 03-19-2008 04:09 PM

I get a screaching from my rear e-brake spring rubbing on something when I make a right turn. Might be the same kind of thing.

Suby Fan 03-19-2008 04:11 PM

a good mechanic for that kind of work? a monkey! :D tighten your acccessory belt its loose

Stilor 03-19-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

a good mechanic for that kind of work? a monkey!
Thanks, and though I hope my SVX will run reliably for the years ahead, I still think it's better to know a good place to service it :) Not all problems may be as simple as adjusting a belt.

Quote:

I get a screaching from my rear e-brake spring
Mine is coming from front wheels... That may be the case, as screeching doesn't sound like a dying CV joint...

Quote:

rebuilt cv half shafts are only about 60 bucks exchange
I found that too, the question was how reliable are those re-manufactured parts?

kwren 03-19-2008 07:12 PM

as a rule,

very. NAPA has a lifetime guarantee on the cv's and some other things. Many companies do!

budbaer 03-19-2008 08:03 PM

I put remanufactured axles on mine about a year and a half ago and they are doing fine.

kwren 03-20-2008 12:17 AM

Me too!

Yup..........

huck369 03-20-2008 05:23 AM

The Screeching is most likely due to a bad O-ring under the Power Steering Tank...a 50 cent and 10 minute fix.....;)

Welcome aboard:D

Stilor 03-20-2008 11:28 AM

Thanks everybody!

Tomorrow I hope I'll learn what were the sources of these noises. At least, I now have a checklist of things to look at. Thanks again!

pleiad7 03-20-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stilor (Post 535849)
However, I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a good mechanic for SVX in the Bay Area, preferably in the south bay.

Thanks in advance!

I know it's a little out of your way, but you might want to check out LIC Motorsports in Novato. They have an excellent reputation in the Subaru community, and Adam (shop owner/lead tech) is an SVX owner as well.

www.licmotorsports.com

Stilor 03-21-2008 04:21 PM

I got a call from service shop at Capitol Subaru; they said that both front half-shafts are to be replaced and quoted $1475 for that, and recommended changing the brake pads for $300. They also quoted that there are some "additional problems that need to be fixed". Given that one of the responses suggested a price of ~$60 for a remanufactured half-shaft, a price of $1475 seems somewhat too high.

So, the question about good service shop for SVX in Bay Area, preferably south of the bay, remains. Aside from the LIC motorsports in Novato (which is 90 miles from me), is there any good shop somewhat closer to San Jose?

stallion 03-22-2008 03:24 PM

to tell you the truth the half shafts are something you CAN do on your own, if you can afford not driving for a day. there's a good how-to on it in the How-To documents, or was it a post.. regardless I remember searching for it and finding a How-To.

i think there's a guy here named EdfromSF whos in the bay, and although he isnt exactly in the 408 im sure he can direct you to a nice place. i've always done the smaller jobs on my own.. also check the SVX Shop Search, I think there's something about a guy owning a SVX in san jose and being the head mechanic or something