The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mystery Switch and Button (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38938)

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 02:57 PM

Mystery Switch and Button

In the process of trying to check the power lock fuse, I found a two way toggle switch and button in the kick panel. The car does have an aftermarket security system installed by a previous owner.

Neither have any effect on how the car starts or runs, and the alarm seems to set regardless of the switch position.

Any thoughts?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ilot/43916.jpg

UPnorth362 05-12-2007 03:24 PM

The momentary push button has two functions.
1. programming the alarm brain.
2. emergency alarm disarm.
The toggle switch is usually to disable remote start function. Suppose it could depend on the alarm manufacturer.

Looks like it must be a Directed Electronics alarm from the looks of the switches:D

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 03:42 PM

Remote start huh? Would that be what the "AUX" button on my remote is for?

ensteele 05-12-2007 04:05 PM

Maybe - try it and see what happens. :rolleyes: :D :D

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 04:57 PM

Hrmm...no dice. The AUX button only lights up the LED on the remote. It does nothing to the car, wherever the little switch is.

Too bad, remote start would have been nice.

UPnorth362 05-12-2007 06:20 PM

Can you see the alarm brain? If so look and see what brand and model it is. if it is a DEI, the remote start can be set to any # of buttons. I used to set them up where you hold lock and unlock at the same time to start the car.:cool: Check it out, and let us know.

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPnorth362
Can you see the alarm brain? If so look and see what brand and model it is. if it is a DEI, the remote start can be set to any # of buttons. I used to set them up where you hold lock and unlock at the same time to start the car.:cool: Check it out, and let us know.

SWEET! Lock and unlock together starts it right up!

I have a remote starter...*does happy dance*:D :D :D :D

UPnorth362 05-12-2007 06:57 PM

SWEEEEETTT!!!!!!:D Now you just need to do window mods, so when you arm the alarm the windows go up, and the doors lock automatically.:cool:

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 07:15 PM

Once I get my exhaust done that would be a cool project. My power locks are hosed at the moment. I don't even have the pass door regulator installed because it's seized in the lock position.

I need to finsh my exhaust to pass safety, and that's draining my funds right now, but once that's done and I'm set for money this would be a cool project.

I got down there again and looked around for the alarm. All I could find is what I assume is the shock detection unit zip-tied to the steering column. It says "Singer doubleshock...something something" on it.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...ilot/43921.jpg

ensteele 05-12-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot

I have a remote starter...*does happy dance*:D :D :D :D

I love it! That is a good surprise! :D :D

UPnorth362 05-12-2007 09:54 PM

Yea..... I can tell by the shock sensor and ignition harness, its a DEI product. You would need new lock actuators for this car anyways. No biggie though, the actuators are like $15. The window mod is like $35. Let me know when you are ready, I can give you some details on how to make it work. You could do all 4 + the moon roof. You can also make the trunk pop, and turn on neons. The possibilities are endless:cool:

Crazy_pilot 05-12-2007 10:23 PM

:D :D :D :D :D

I'll let you know when I've got the time/money to give it a shot!

I like the idea of my car doing all sorts of things without anyone in it. It would be a great show for my friends.

Hocrest 05-13-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

... I don't even have the pass door regulator installed because it's seized in the lock position...

Chris,

Let me know what parts you need for your passenger door, and they'll be your for the cost of shipping.

Crazy_pilot 05-13-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Chris,

Let me know what parts you need for your passenger door, and they'll be your for the cost of shipping.

Sweet, thanks Dave! I'm living on credit till my tax return comes in, but once I have some money to move around I'll give you a shout.:D

SVXdc 05-22-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised the previous owner didn't tell you about this. Kinda scary — you could have squeezed the transmitter the wrong way and not realized you just started your engine... :eek:

So does the toggle switch disable the remote start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPnorth362
I can tell by the shock sensor and ignition harness, its a DEI product. You would need new lock actuators for this car anyways. No biggie though, the actuators are like $15. ...

Are you talking about the SVX's factory door lock "motors" or something else? (I'd have thought the factory actuators would run way more than $15 each)