The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trouble Code 23 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52372)

bcpianoman 11-22-2009 11:41 AM

Trouble Code 23

My son’s SVX is hesitating badly when accelerating from a stop. I’m getting Trouble Code 23 – “Abnormal voltage from air flow Sensor”. I followed the how-to and cleaned the air flow sensor with a brake cleaner that leaves no residue but it didn’t fix the problem, nor could I clear the trouble code. Then I swapped out the air flow sensor with one that I know to be functional (its from my SVX that runs well) but that didn’t help either. It still hesitates badly and I still can’t clear the trouble code.

Any ideas?

Manarius 11-22-2009 02:27 PM

Re: Trouble Code 23

After you put in the new sensor, did you pull the negative battery terminal for at least half an hour and then try again?

bcpianoman 11-23-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 625807)
After you put in the new sensor, did you pull the negative battery terminal for at least half an hour and then try again?

Well I tried it and it worked! The hesitation is all gone. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I have to find a new MAF Sensor to go in my other SVX. It won't be from the local Subaru dealer though - they wanted $630.00 (Canadian) including tax for one of them.

Devilman 11-26-2009 07:13 PM

If i might add something...I have had a few problems with my MAF and had cleaned and made sure to have the correct filter etc....but stalling was still an issue, so i removed the plastic cover from the control unit and resoldered the contact points (as the exisiting solder was old) and resealed the unit using silcone gasket material (RTV high temp black) all on the up and up.

Now it runs like a champ again...no issues. I have a feeling this is also a stage in the refurb when they take your core on new purchases,but thats just a though. ;)

ps: from a previous post i read, checking the wiring and the connector to the unit is a good idea. And if you have it in you, redo it with a more robust connection.

kwren 11-26-2009 10:57 PM

Cleaning the original MAF may have worked!
Replacing your original MAF with a "doner" one required the battery disconnect to get the replacement to work!!

Originally Posted by Manarius View Post

Cleaning might have been the ticket with a follow up battery disconnect on that original cleaned one!

Just a thought...

Keith:cool:

bcpianoman 11-29-2009 09:06 AM

I thought of that too. I'll look into it further. Thanks for the suggestion.

Manarius 11-29-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 626175)
Cleaning might have been the ticket with a follow up battery disconnect on that original cleaned one!

Just a thought...

Keith:cool:

In my experience, once the ECU starts throwing a code for the MAF, it's beyond cleaning. It could also be the solders, but I'm sure that it's too broken for cleaning.