The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wiper Arm doesn't move (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42794)

Lockleaf 01-14-2008 10:23 PM

Wiper Arm doesn't move

My passenger side wiper arm doesn't move when I turn on the wipers. I figure it has to be one of two things. wiper arm bushing, or else the connection between the two wiper arms is disconnected. However, can anyone think of anything else it might be? I've only had the car a few days and this was the first time I had tried using the front wipers. Thanks guys

dcarrb 01-15-2008 09:53 AM

I would check to be sure the nut securing the arm to the drive post is good and tight.

dcb

ensteele 01-15-2008 05:07 PM

Yes, the rubber cap on the arm can hid that the nut is loose and that will cause the arm not to move. :)

94SubieSVX 01-15-2008 05:11 PM

Even if the nut were loose, the arm should still move with the motor right? Because isn't there grooves to catch it on the motor stub, and on the inside of the arm?

ensteele 01-15-2008 05:16 PM

It may be stripped out then. :(

Seraphinwolf 01-15-2008 06:10 PM

What about a rear wiper? Any ideas on that? I can hear the signal trigger something. I'm hoping it's not one of those things that they won't let my car pass inspection for caues it's stuck half way and won't move by hand.
-Gaddis

Hocrest 01-15-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf (Post 521456)
What about a rear wiper? Any ideas on that? I can hear the signal trigger something. I'm hoping it's not one of those things that they won't let my car pass inspection for caues it's stuck half way and won't move by hand.
-Gaddis

If you're worried about it passing inspection, just unbolt it and rebolt it in the parked position. They'll never give it a second thought...

Seraphinwolf 01-15-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 521463)
If you're worried about it passing inspection, just unbolt it and rebolt it in the parked position. They'll never give it a second thought...

Ummm... yeah I was more wondering on actually fxxing it. I've stuck my head up in there as best I can but since my trunkhead liner doesn't want to come out I can't really get at it. Like I said there's something triggering like an actuator or something. Guess I'll just do that for inspection though.
-Gaddis

Hocrest 01-15-2008 07:17 PM

You're going to have to get the trunk lining down to check it out.

Let me know if you need a rear wiper motor...

Conn SVX 01-17-2008 03:05 PM

On my old 1985 Subi I had the nut get loose. I was told by the dealer it was designed that way incase the wiper froze to the window the nut would loosen like a clutch. I lifted the cap and tightened the nut.