The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Opening the Grille? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15727)

Brian 01-17-2004 11:02 PM

Opening the Grille?

Does anyone know how to safely open the grille assembly on a '92? It's already removed from the car, but I'd like to open it up so I can install a light inside the transparent part. I see 4 tab slots spaced across the bottom, but only one looks completely unobstructed. I'm afarid that if I start prying at it with a screw driver the wrong way, I'll end up breaking it. At the top, it's hard to see where the black-painted clear plastic part meets the black plastic part. It looks like this is because of a black sealant. Any help would be appreciated.

Aredubjay 01-18-2004 02:09 AM

Brian,
No, you don't want to start prying until you soften the black sealant. Two ways to do that: a heat gun on medium low setting or, place the grille in a 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown -- I mean, until the sealant gets soft. :D

ensteele 01-18-2004 03:20 AM

They taste just like chicken, or cat - I don't remember now. :rolleyes: :)

Green1995SVX 01-18-2004 08:32 AM

mmmm baked waterfall grill. sounds scrumptious. *salivating*

Brian 01-18-2004 01:13 PM

Yeah, it does sound good, especially with a nice WD-40 glaze! :D But seriously, cooking this thing worries me too. I'll take your advice, but what's the next step? To insert a screw driver in the tab slots & pry? (It looks like 3 of them may also contain some sealant or gunk, 2 of those especially.) If so, do I put the srew driver to the front of the tab or behind it? And what about closing the grille again? Can I reheat the sealant and press it back together again? or do I need to apply new sealant? I have a tube of black 3M Weatherstrip Advesive. Will that work?

Aredubjay 01-18-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian
Yeah, it does sound good, especially with a nice WD-40 glaze! :D But seriously, cooking this thing worries me too. I'll take your advice, but what's the next step? To insert a screw driver in the tab slots & pry? (It looks like 3 of them may also contain some sealant or gunk, 2 of those especially.) If so, do I put the srew driver to the front of the tab or behind it? And what about closing the grille again? Can I reheat the sealant and press it back together again? or do I need to apply new sealant? I have a tube of black 3M Weatherstrip Advesive. Will that work?
I know some members who've cooked their headlight assemblies with no adverse effects. I'd imagine that the grille would be similar. Just keep an eye on it and lay it on a cookie sheet or something, not directly on the rack. I'd make sure the tabs hadn't been softened too much before prying, and I'd lift the tabs from the "obvious" point (where the lip goes over the notch). You could probably reheat the sealant, but, once you have it apart, you'll be able to tell a bit better. The 3M black weathersrtip adhesive is probably what they used in the first place, so, if you need another application, it should be fine.

Brian 01-18-2004 11:32 PM

Thanks again :) , but after talking it over with a friend, I decided that it would be easier, harmless, and more accessible (although possibly sacreligous) to Dremel my own openings on the sides of the assembly, and slip the light in. I can cover the holes before reinstalling the grille. It worked fine. Only, I think the white neon tube I bought may not be as bright as I'd hoped. Maybe I'll try a strip of white LEDs. I would like a brightness comparable to the low-beam headlights, but uniform like a bar of light.

NomadTW 01-19-2004 12:06 AM

for tips and pointers i recomend you go over to nasioc and search 'black goo of death'

you should find all you need to know on how to seperate any of the light pieces