The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freeze-12, alternative R-12 refrigerant (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39958)

Chris 07-26-2007 04:09 PM

Freeze-12, alternative R-12 refrigerant

This week I will attempt a charge of an SVX R-12 system with an alternative called Freeze-12. I was preferring to find and use a differnt alternative called Hotshot (aka R-414b) but my search for it locally has come up empty. I will post my results, possibly with pictures, when completed.

ShiuludeSVX 07-26-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris
This week I will attempt a charge of an SVX R-12 system with an alternative called Freeze-12. I was preferring to find and use a differnt alternative called Hotshot (aka R-414b) but my search for it locally has come up empty. I will post my results, possibly with pictures, when completed.

Thanks, it's getting harder all the time to get R-12.
I have a source, but he is exhausting what he has also.

Hocrest 07-26-2007 07:26 PM

I'm using Freeze12 in mine, I've seen a few others posting about it too. It goes by a few different names though...

ShiuludeSVX 07-26-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
I'm using Freeze12 in mine, I've seen a few others posting about it too. It goes by a few different names though...

Can it be gotten commercially, or do you have to kill someone for it?
I'd like to have some on hand, and have 2 pre-change over vehicles.

Romantt8 07-26-2007 09:14 PM

I hear propane is a great refrigerant. Supposedly its used in 3rd world countries and performs better than r12 or r134.

redsvx 07-26-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

I hear propane is a great refrigerant. Supposedly its used in 3rd world countries and performs better than r12 or r134.
Found this older thread on an Audi site ... interesting read.
http://www.audifans.com/pipermail/qu...ne/077140.html

jeffast 07-26-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romantt8

it's illegale in the us because, it explodes... allot...
for safty reasons do not use propane

b3lha 07-27-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast

The same applies in the UK, but I think that safety is just an excuse. They would rather sell you the expensive A/C gases than ordinary propane.

There is not very much gas in an A/C system, certainly not enough to make a very big explosion and there are plenty of other flammable fluids in the engine compartment. Some cars over here run even on LPG. Some people drive camper vans with propane/butane cookers in them.

In Europe, particularly Germany, R600a gas (isobutane) is commonly used in cars and it is somewhat similar to propane. I wouldn't be at all worried about using propane/butane/isobutane in my A/C system.

I use RS24 (an R12 substitute) in the 92 and R134a in the 94. Unfortunately both cars have leaks and need topping up, but A/C is not really required in England this summer.

shotking 07-27-2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris

I'll look forward to seeing your results. Its been exceptionally hot and humid in Northeast Pa this month and it would be nice to have some relief while drivin.

dcarrb 07-27-2007 08:28 AM

Is cost the reason folks seem reluctant to use R134a? I've been using it in my teal SVX for four Georgia summers now with excellent results (and zero maintenance), so I'm curious as to why anyone would seek an unproven alternative. The silver is still running R12 (so far as I know), I alternate days driving them, and there's no discernible difference between the two in cooling output.

dcb

Kelvin 07-27-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast

So do most things under the hood of a car. Propane has a strong smell too, so you'll know if you have a leak.

Kelvin 07-27-2007 08:55 AM

Also: interesting tidbit about R12/R134A. Dupont chemicals invented R12, back in the day, and acquired a patent on it. As you know, patents only last only 20 years. Well, 20 years later, anybody could make R-12 without having to pay dupont chemicals massive royalties. Soon thereafter, Dupont's own scientists 'discovered' how harmful R-12 was, and pushed for it to be made illegal to produce. Instead, we now use R-134A, a coolant that is actually MORE corrosive and MORE damaging to the environment. Anybody want to guess who owns the patent on this new one? :P

Guyver280z 07-27-2007 09:08 AM

Well, I used the $29.95 AutoZone "retro fit kit" on my car and charged it with R134... and it works PERFECTO, its even colder than before. The only problem is that it was overcharged and when the arizona heat goes over 110 the pressure builds up so much that the compressor stops.... but I just need to take it to the shop and recharge it with less r134 than before.

R134 its actually environment "friendly", its mineral based and it doesnt harm the ozone layer either the soil. You can actually breath it and you wond die of poisoning.... you can die for lack of oxygen, but its not bas as R12.

Kelvin 07-27-2007 09:36 AM

Then how come it corrodes the rubber seals on older R-12 equipment?

ensteele 07-27-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin
Then how come it corrodes the rubber seals on older R-12 equipment?

I don't know that it does. :o