The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trunk release (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14733)

ajb 11-28-2003 12:12 PM

Trunk release

Anyone out there who has some tips for diagnosing and fixing a broken trunk release cable?

Bobb 11-28-2003 12:36 PM

Trunk lock

Hi AJB, Are you sure its the cable? Put your rear seatback down and crawl into the trunk with a light and see if the defeat awitch has gotten moved. Or, use your master key in the trunk lock. If that does not work it might just be frozen from non use. Of course it could be the cable. If it is, your on your own. I've not heard of problems with the cable, but have had little deals as mentioned above. Take care, BOBB P/S Maybe someone who has had the cable break will pitch in. "B"

lee 11-28-2003 02:01 PM

I haven't had the cable break, but BOBB's suggestions sound on target.

if it is the cable, you will have to take off the plastic threshold at the drivers door, remove the back seat to get off the driver's side rear passenger side panel, then a trunk side panel and after getting the trunk open somehow, run a new cable following the path the current one uses - seen after all that other stuff has been removed. I'd guess about 2 hours work without being too rushed. careful with the threshold, the rear side panel has two plastic "screws" that hold it in, one up high (need seat back folded down to see) and one under the seat bottom (gotta take it out to get to it; the trunk panel has those typical plugs that push in and grip, not too much of a worry there, but nothing should really take a lot of force to remove.

Alycone 11-28-2003 03:24 PM

My cable got stretched out, it hasn't irritated me enough to do anything about it yet.

It looks like it's in place, but when someone pulls the release it seems that the cable is about 1/8" to 1/4'' too long to engage. :confused:

ensteele 11-28-2003 08:59 PM

Aly - we'll fix that at the maintenance meet! :D

Alycone 11-29-2003 03:15 PM

Thank you!! :D

svxistentialist 11-29-2003 04:25 PM

A small suggestion:

When most people [including me!:) ] mention cable, they mean a complete new part, inner and outer. The "inner" part is the cable, contained in the shroud or sheath or scabbard, whatever you might like to call the "outer" part.

Generally the "inner" cable snaps, and the "outer" is OK. Why not investigate if you can fit a new "inner" cable without taking the car apart? Even if you had to buy a new complete cable, and cut one end off the "inner" so you can feed it through the old one in place? After soldering up the cut end of course.

Worth a try?

Joe;)

Alycone 01-06-2004 09:37 PM

Don't I feel dumb, I was browsing through the manual on the ferry and I got to the part about the switch to defeat the trunk release mechanism. After moving that into the off position, my trunk opens fine. :rolleyes:

ensteele 01-06-2004 09:51 PM

I told you we would help you fix it. It just wasn't at the maintenance meet.

I know of a couple of cables that have stretched. You can use a lead fishing split shot and a set of pliers to crimp it on in front of the original one to take out the slack. :) Of course you can fix it the way Alycone did too! :D :p

oab_au 01-07-2004 03:55 PM

How dumb is dumb??

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone
Don't I feel dumb, I was browsing through the manual on the ferry and I got to the part about the switch to defeat the trunk release mechanism. After moving that into the off position, my trunk opens fine. :rolleyes:
Don't feel dumb, I spent a couple of hours trying to fix the release cable. Till my best girl said " thats this little lever here?"
"Oh thats a watisname," I said:rolleyes: as I switched it back.:D :D Dumb Dumb.

Harvey.;)

ensteele 01-07-2004 11:45 PM

It is nice that we can all be honest about the dumb things we do! :D If we can't laugh at ourselves, life would be pretty boaring. This way we can laugh with you, not at you. Then again....:rolleyes: ;) :D

Alycone 01-08-2004 04:44 AM

Quote:

This way we can laugh with you, not at you. Then again....

Oh, shove it up your exhaust tips. :p :rolleyes: :)

NikFu S. 01-08-2004 04:48 PM

man you lucked out.
something broke on mine. (big surprise right?)
crawled into the trunk and had to squeeze myself around my subs to find anything. i couldnt use the key because the lock was frozen, AND its just tempermental.
had to use a crooked screwdriver to flip the unlocking switch, but i found after getting some deicer and a new key that it wasnt even locked.
i had someone move the release lever and i looked inside the latch and one of the thingies doesnt move.
is that a sign of a broken cable?
it still makes the 'thunk' noise it always did when it worked.

ensteele 01-08-2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone

Oh, shove it up your exhaust tips. :p :rolleyes: :)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: