The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BAD NEWS: discussion. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16596)

Bwana 02-20-2004 11:16 AM

BAD NEWS: discussion.

In case anyone wanted to put any comments with Chris's announcement.

Do so here.

Quote:

After almost three years online, hackers have violated the sanctity of our home. Data is being backed up and damage control is coming along. There will be tons of down time in the near future. Gotta keep the punks out of the system. Going to “try” to keep this system up and limping along as long as possible until a total rebuild of the system and operating system can take place. Travis Burnside (previous owner of QWK.net) and Jim Waldon (Sr. network engineer at Fiberpipe and my soon to be brother-in-law) are donating many hours to this cause.

The good news is that the SVX server will be moving to its new home (and dedicated T1) at Jims new house. So, congratulations to Jim on his new house purchase and his new announcement of marriage to my sister.

So, please bear with us and help us deal with our growing pains. My request… Find a hacker and pummel the crap outta him! (just kidding) Had to put that for legal reasons.

Chris Townsend
SVX Admin

Bwana 02-20-2004 11:19 AM

First off...congrats Jim! And thanks for helping out with our server. :D Also...thanks to Travis. :p

Chris, what did the hackers do?

NapaBavarian 02-20-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana
Chris, what did the hackers do?
Can we plant a digital bouncing betty in the system? If they come back and trip the wire then... they cant come back again:]

Seraph 02-20-2004 12:32 PM

I've already PMed chris to see if I can help. Tracking hackers is what I do second best. :)

Alycone 02-20-2004 03:30 PM

What is it that you do best?

I don't see that we're much of a target, unless it's "just because it was there." I guess everything's a target. :mad:

Aredubjay 02-20-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alycone
What is it that you do best?

He installs weather stripping.

wawazat?? 02-20-2004 04:00 PM

I thought he modeled purple prom dresses:confused: :p

Boy's gotta do something productive:p :D

ensteele 02-20-2004 04:21 PM

I thought it was tear his dash or headlights apart.

Uncamitzi 02-20-2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I thought it was tear his dash or headlights apart.
Oops... I guess I should finish read all the posts before I go balistic.. although ... the " what can I do thread" is a little more "positive" than doing bodily harm to all those poor hackers that don't have anything better to do than "F-bomb word" with the computer using world.

I still say it's Norton /Mcaffe(sp?) writting all the worms and viruses (or is it viri??) .... who else has a profit motive??? :confused:

NapaBavarian 02-20-2004 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I still say it's Norton /Mcaffe(sp?) writting all the worms and viruses (or is it viri??) .... who else has a profit motive??? :confused:
They do get the patches out quickly...

Seraph 02-20-2004 06:56 PM

Normally, such attacks are caused by script kiddies. They often times have no clue. What was the damage? Unless I can find some gain, what's the point of getting into the SVX server? right?

If we have the logs and such, we might be able to trace the person back to where they came from. If you have sensitive info, you can even call up the FBI and they are wonderful.

immortal_suby 02-20-2004 07:40 PM

I'm telling you it's Kaiser Soze!

Bwana 02-20-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncamitzi

the " what can I do thread" is a little more "positive" than doing bodily harm to all those poor hackers that don't have anything better to do than "F-bomb word" with the computer using world.

Fine! Sticky YOUR thread instead of mine. :mad:

P.S. ;)

Alycone 02-21-2004 01:52 AM

But the rant and b**ch thread is useful too! :)

Chris 02-21-2004 03:04 PM

The hackers installed an IRC bot to help them to take over channels. This was also used unfortunately for DOS attacks. And what has caused us some problems with the new owners of QWK.net as well as the existing side of Travis’s business. Our server was on their fiber feed, and when it was attacking other peoples servers, it was using up 90+ percent of the bandwidth causing performance issues and loss of service for paying customers at QWK.net. So with the proposed purchase of a fast VLAN capable router, should our server become compromised again, the bandwidth used will not take down Jims side of the network nor effect his side machines.

In about 2-3 weeks, the move will take place. The only real thing we/I loose is a back up generator. We will have a couple of hours of back up power provided by a large APC UPS.