The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How bad am I screwed... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42461)

Bizarre 12-21-2007 08:15 PM

How bad am I screwed...

I slid on some ice and hit a curb. Tire was flattened. Wheel damaged but not so bad it would not hold air. Tried to drive but would not pull forward.
Looks like right wheel is 2 inches rearward where from where it should be.
Is this a job for me or a garage?

Without photos or details what do you guys think?

Crazy_pilot 12-21-2007 08:19 PM

Ouch is what I think.

My brother did a very similar thing to the '05 Forester. Slid through a T intersection and slammed into the curb. The right front wheel was pushed back into the plastic fender liner and smashed into mush, the left front and right rear wheels were broken...

Long story short, $5000, including a new rear bumper because it had been previously damaged. New wheels/tires all around (put that in the $2K ballpark), major suspension overhaul, tons of labour, alignement.

The most important thing to check is that the frame is still straight. If the frame is twisted it may not be worth the time effort and big money involved.

ensteele 12-21-2007 08:57 PM

I would say that it is a job for a garage. At least to check out the damage and see if there is any major damage, unless you can see it easily. That is the pits! :(

redlightningsvx 12-21-2007 09:13 PM

you may just bent the strut hopefully thats all

crazyhorse 12-21-2007 09:15 PM

Possibilities.... from bad to worse.

1, bent lower control arm
2, bent strut
3, bent subframe
4, bent unibody

The first two are home fixes, given the tools & skills
The last two, definately shop fixes.

Remember, however, it COULD be a combinantion of any, or all of these

It's Just Eric 12-21-2007 09:19 PM

front or rear?

honestly, get the thing on jackstands and look for bent stuff. If everything damaged bolts on, you'll be able to do it yourself. If there's frame damage, you'r in some trouble, but it can be fixed

94SubieSVX 12-21-2007 10:16 PM

I think a big factor in the amount of damage would be how fast were you going when you hit?

TomsSVX 12-21-2007 11:47 PM

ouch, some pics of the underbody on the that side would help me tell you how much of the shaft its gonna give u

Tom

YourConfused 12-21-2007 11:58 PM

Not knowing the direction of impact other than reading that the wheel has been pushed rearwards would lead me to believe that it may be possible some additional force may have pushed the wheel inwards also. As in towards the center of the car. Is it possible that this could have sent the axle into the diff, damaging it's guts? After seeing (forgot who it was, but is relatively new here) posting pics of his lower rear suspension arm that was bent into a U shape, but not having any wheel bearing or drive train issues makes me think that there is enough travel in the 2 CV's per axle to not cause diff damage under impacts like this.
Looks like the statement I was going to make in this post was more of a question.:confused:

siceclipse 12-22-2007 01:42 AM

I bought my SVX in the same condition yours is in right now

Here is a pic of the bent lateral arms in my thread
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42086

all i need now is a good alignment and a new wheel bearing.

Bizarre 12-22-2007 07:53 AM

Yikes

1 Attachment(s)
Lifted her up with my forklift and it appears the lower arm assembly is bent entirely with the mounting point in the "frame sub assembly front suspension" bent nicely too.

Tally so far from subaruparts.com
20102 $622.26 Frame sub assembly-front suspension
20202 $269.71 Lower arm assembly-front,right

Tom, feel like coming down and fixing this for some $$$?

I can lift the car with my forklift. Just need the parts and your skills.

TomsSVX 12-22-2007 08:02 AM

why don't we bring her up here... TBH if the subframe is bent too, there might be more damage than we know

Tom

Bizarre 12-22-2007 08:08 AM

Thanks

How do I bring it to you?

TomsSVX 12-22-2007 08:18 AM

We can come and pick it up if need be... It's not moving right??

Tom

Bizarre 12-22-2007 08:30 AM

No, it will not drive.

No, it will not drive.