The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   E-Brake Light stays on. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2680)

svx_commuter 02-05-2002 09:43 AM

E-Brake Light stays on.

My E-Brake light is staying on when it is cold outside. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I have flushed out the entire brake system over the summer and it is still coming on. It did the same thing last winter.
The light is on in the morning when it is below freezing and goes out after it warms up.:confused:

mohrds 02-05-2002 11:57 AM

Two possibilities I can think of are that the fluid is just at that right that it is too low when cold, but within specs when warm. Try checking the fluid level when it is cold.

Second and less pretty is it may be the switch is stuck by some goo. I had spilled Orange Juice on my console and some leaked into the switch and kept it from releasing when it was cold out. Once it warmed up, it would release.

Doug

Aredubjay 02-05-2002 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
Two possibilities I can think of are that the fluid is just at that right that it is too low when cold, but within specs when warm. Try checking the fluid level when it is cold.

Second and less pretty is it may be the switch is stuck by some goo. I had spilled Orange Juice on my console and some leaked into the switch and kept it from releasing when it was cold out. Once it warmed up, it would release.

Doug

A third possibility: the float is sticking when it's cold. Pop off your cap and fiddle with it to make sure it isn't stuck.

Green1995SVX 02-05-2002 05:00 PM

for me the solution to this was to just ad the slightest amount of brake fluid. Good luck!

-Mike

svx_commuter 02-06-2002 06:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I looked thru the old posts, used the search and found a fix. I took off the top nad pushed the blatter up into the cap. It was pushing down on the float. I think the cap may be bad. The blatter may be deformed and hanging to low. I think a new cap sells for about $36 or so. I'll wait for awhile on the new cap.

Green1995SVX 02-06-2002 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
Thanks for the help. I looked thru the old posts, used the search and found a fix. I took off the top nad pushed the blatter up into the cap. It was pushing down on the float. I think the cap may be bad. The blatter may be deformed and hanging to low. I think a new cap sells for about $36 or so. I'll wait for awhile on the new cap.
Yeah, i pushed up my blatter thing as well... i forgot about that

-Mike

svx_commuter 02-07-2002 05:46 AM

You know that SVX bladder (not blatter) thing had a dome shape to it? Where as I think all the other brake fluid caps (OBS, Leg) have a flat shape. (The brake caps all look the same form the outside.) Maybe the SVX bladder distorts after awhile? The flat bottom turns into the dome shape after a few years?

For sure when it gets cold out the rubber dome gets stiff (from the cold) and pushes down on the float.