The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   $$ STi rods and such how much SHOULD they cost me? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42273)

Seraphinwolf 12-10-2007 06:42 PM

$$ STi rods and such how much SHOULD they cost me?

I'm looking at a EZ30R built with a few things like STi rods and ported and polished heads, Supertech valvetrain. he states the pistons are JE too(not really sure what that means. Could be company or a type) Says he paid $8k to build it and I just want to know how much these parts would run me? I can source the engine it's self for 2k and he's looking for 4K for it at this point since he sold the car it was gonna go into. He was setting it up for a turbo with a Hydra SA while I'm gonna be going NA with OEM ecu with a piggy back once it's in a the car moves. Either way I have a wiring mess I'm sure and I know I need to have headers made. Just wasn't sure it the list added up in my favor or if I can build the same for less. Please feel free to chime in.
-Gaddis

Seraphinwolf 12-10-2007 06:55 PM

Bump for exposure.

YourConfused 12-10-2007 06:58 PM

A motor built for FI purpose's is just going to be a dog when run NA.
JE is a brand of quality pistons.

Seraphinwolf 12-10-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 514462)
A motor built for FI purpose's is just going to be a dog when run NA.
JE is a brand of quality pistons.

Well it's kinda temping cause I'd put a nice lightweight flywheel on it to reduce the rotational mass to help equal out. The Rod's I was gonna do anyways. And I might supercharge it in the end. Just looking for prices wise if this was a good deal or not. Hell if it was a REALLY good deal I could sell off the stuff I don't need or hold on to them till I SC and put OEM back in for some of the parts.
Anyone got some pricing ranges for me to work with?
-Gaddis

Seraphinwolf 12-11-2007 05:13 PM

Bumpzors for more input.

jeffast 12-11-2007 07:19 PM

if it's built for boost it will be the biggest dog you have ever driven without boost. end story

Seraphinwolf 12-11-2007 07:46 PM

Focus please. Cost wise is where I want the eyes not NA vs. FI

Okay still looking for input on the parts list that went into the f'ing thing. Compresion ratio was built to be 8.5:1 Now Perrin's turbo 600 WHP 3.0R GT3582R turbo was a low compression but about how low does that make this ratio seem? I can't find the compresion specs on the stock pistons at the moment. Still please any input on a ball park on the parts. If I decide to SC or Turbo after I get it that's my decission. I'm just looking to see if I pay $4k for this would I be in a good footing even if I restock the internals and hold the others for when i do FI this f'er?
-Gaddis

Seraphinwolf 12-12-2007 06:55 AM

another exposure bump!

Seraphinwolf 12-12-2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf (Post 514817)
another exposure bump!

another one

sicksubie 12-12-2007 10:51 AM

There are still many variable that I would need to know before and cost guestimate can be made. You said that he built for a FI application. Did he go as far as sleeving the cylinders? Crank work? If he is willing to sell the whole motor for 4k and you could start with a stock motor for 2k, then you are much better off buying his motor. Pistons, rods, valvetrain will run you 2.5-3k alone. We are not even looking at labor yet for assembly, machine work on the block, the port and polishing done on the head, etc, etc.

Seraphinwolf 12-12-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 514839)
There are still many variable that I would need to know before and cost guestimate can be made. You said that he built for a FI application. Did he go as far as sleeving the cylinders? Crank work? If he is willing to sell the whole motor for 4k and you could start with a stock motor for 2k, then you are much better off buying his motor. Pistons, rods, valvetrain will run you 2.5-3k alone. We are not even looking at labor yet for assembly, machine work on the block, the port and polishing done on the head, etc, etc.

He only got as far as the parts stated. JE pistons, STi rods, valvetrain by Supertech. Nothing else was done. Stock for the rest of it really. I was just looking at the new issue of SubiSport Mag and they have an article of COBB's build of the EZ30R and they seem to have some stuff made for it now, but I only glanced at it since I have company over. I'll check later. I need to go right now so I can call to check on my Impreza being done now that it's been 4 months without my car! :mad: I'll read that article but that's all that's been done to the engine.
-Gaddis

TomsSVX 12-12-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf (Post 514850)
He only got as far as the parts stated. JE pistons, STi rods, valvetrain by Supertech. Nothing else was done. Stock for the rest of it really. I was just looking at the new issue of SubiSport Mag and they have an article of COBB's build of the EZ30R and they seem to have some stuff made for it now, but I only glanced at it since I have company over. I'll check later. I need to go right now so I can call to check on my Impreza being done now that it's been 4 months without my car! :mad: I'll read that article but that's all that's been done to the engine.
-Gaddis

Why Sti rods?? Eagle makes better ones that are within relative cheapness...Thats why we use them in our EG33 builds

Tom

SilverSpear 12-12-2007 11:45 PM

Even SVX rods are better than those of the STi's. This is what I've heard, they are stronger.

TomsSVX 12-14-2007 09:34 AM

danny, you have heard incorrectly. The SVX rods are nothing special esp. when looking at the main cap bolts

Tom

SilverSpear 12-14-2007 10:04 AM

No YT, OEM SVX rods and stronger than OEM STi rods. That fact was confirmed by a knowledgeable member and machinist on this board.