The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear axle removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11105)

benebob 06-01-2003 05:19 PM

Rear axle removal

My brat needs new rear wheel bearings for inspection so I planned to take it apart then take the hubs to the shop to have new ones pressed in. Problem is the axles won't budge. Took the pins out, removed the inner arm (part of the hub), dropped the rear axle. Best I could do was rip one of the boots and yank the rest out. Didn't help much. In fact I managed to put a hole in the arm wacking on it with a punch. I've had wd-40 in there for 2 days and still not a bit of movement. Any ideas? I really don't want a HA HA but 0% runs out tomorrow night so it looks like the Brat and the Jetta might be gone unless someone has a solution.

Oh yeah, YES THE SPRING PINS ARE OUT!:D

Beav 06-01-2003 06:47 PM

It sounds as though they're rusted in there pretty good. I use a tool that looks similar to a hub puller that forces the axle out. You might consider just taking the knuckle, hub and axle all together to the machine shop and let them deal with it.

benebob 06-01-2003 09:12 PM

rear axle

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
It sounds as though they're rusted in there pretty good. I use a tool that looks similar to a hub puller that forces the axle out. You might consider just taking the knuckle, hub and axle all together to the machine shop and let them deal with it.
Hub, rear axle, dif, rear axle, hub? You know how much that weighs?:D What's this tool you speak of and where do I rent one????

Beav 06-02-2003 02:18 AM

Why would you want to pull the diff?

huck369 06-02-2003 05:47 AM

Quote:

From the sound of it, he can't get it out of the rear diff:confused:

benebob 06-02-2003 06:50 AM

Rear axles

Quote:

Do you think I wanted to take 10 more rusted to death bolts off? The axles are stuck EVERYWHERE on both sides of the dif. Stuck to the hub, stuck to the axle (except the side that I broke off at the joint). I even took the rear drum off, put the axle in a vice and wacked the crap out of the arm. Didn't move a bit.

Beav 06-02-2003 09:53 AM

Sorry. I was just asking. I knew there was a reason I didn't want to move to the 'salt belt'. :eek: ;)

benebob 06-02-2003 10:37 AM

Axle puller

So Beau any more info on this axle puller thing you use?

Beav 06-02-2003 11:17 AM

I wish I had a better way to do this but I don't know how...

Go to: http://www.otctools.com/frames-catalog.php3
Click: For a Full Catalog
Type: 7208 in the search box and hit 'enter'
Click on Page # 95
Scroll to lowest RH corner - tool #7208 is what I use. Available through most parts stores - around $45. Ask for OTC part # 7208

benebob 06-02-2003 12:27 PM

hub puller

So this thing will work huh??? $40 isn't bad if it saves 1 hour in labor at a shop right. My only question is how does it pull the axle off? What do you do put it against the arm and axle then crank? Don't want to waste money on something that won't work.

Beav 06-02-2003 12:34 PM

It bolts to the hub flange and presses against the center of the axle, thereby forcing the axle out of the hub.

benebob 06-02-2003 12:47 PM

hub remover

So it just goes in the front and pushes rather than pulls huh? It'll work on a 4wd Brat that had a seperate 1/2 shaft and little stub axle that goes through the brake drum. Think its strong enough to pull this out?

Beav 06-02-2003 04:29 PM

Look at it this way, if it doesn't do the trick you're back to my original suggestion. Try auto parts stores or a rental stores for loaners/rentals before buying something you may only use once in your lifetime.

benebob 06-03-2003 06:23 AM

Stuck rear axle removal

Thanks Beav! I tried Autozone and they don't have anything like it for lend.:( The rental place wanted $50 for 2 days. Its cheaper to buy but after looking at one by another company at Advance Auto I really am leary that it isn't strong enough to do the job. Besides I'm now wondering how I'm gonna get them back in. I think a machine shop might be the better choice at this point. What do you think 2 hours to pull both hubs, put in new bearings and seals and then put hubs back on the axles?

On a side note the wife test drove a Ha Ha and Legacy GT last night. She liked the Ha Ha more:( . I was sure she wouldn't like driving it. Good thing is I'm a real tough neg. when it comes to buying a car. Esp. with the knowledege of what dealer incentives and how many day supply they have of 'em.

I really wanna keep the Brat though and the deal is new Ha Ha. Brat is gone.

Beav 06-03-2003 08:23 AM

Time-wise, who knows? The first page of any labor manual states that each car is individual and allowances for additional difficulties , rust, impact damage, etc., should be factored in with the suggested times.

One more alternative - used parts?