The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine / trans VIBRATION (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49879)

SuberNatural 04-15-2009 05:42 PM

engine / trans VIBRATION

Ok, first i will explain what i have done to try and track it down so far.

1. pulled each fuel injector individually to check for a miss. Engine is not missing.
2. replaced a bad trans mount with a Urethane filled mount from YT.
-----obviously made the vibration much worse being that it wasnt the sole cause nor the solution lol. But its been overdue.
3. changed all of the spark plugs with NGK Iridiums.
4. visually inspected all 6 coil pack. No tears, rips, etc anywhere.

Road tested to track down conditions
- driving at highway speed even throttle it isn't super noticeable
-idle is fairly smooth and around 600-650 rpms
-heavy acceleration the vibration is more severe and becomes a droaning noise in the higher RPM's (4k + )
-in park and neutral the vibration is present when revved out of idle. most niticeable around 1.5-2.5k RPMs, but still present 2.5k+ RPMs.

Would like to add that the trans has about 65k miles on it. I have installed an ext filter and a cooler in series with the transmission. ATF recently (about 5k miles ago) changed out. Had front diff fluid inspected (looked good). The trans fluid looks good and smells good (not that i like the smell of hydraulic fluid).

The flexplate has been suggested so far, but I have no real info on anything specific.

Thanks in advance!
_Mike

SuberNatural 04-15-2009 08:07 PM

Re: engine / trans VIBRATION

Anyone have anything on this?

Manarius 04-15-2009 08:15 PM

Engine mounts?

I was thinking driveshaft U-Joint but you said it vibrates even in park.

stiguy 04-15-2009 08:22 PM

you running 85 fuel?

SVXRide 04-15-2009 08:59 PM

any recent exhaust system work?
-Bill

kwren 04-15-2009 10:01 PM

Any codes?

svxfiles 04-15-2009 11:34 PM

See if the vibration happens when the radiator fans come on.

SuberNatural 04-16-2009 09:40 AM

Vibration is all the time fans on or off.

Engine mounts look to be in good shape and the engine doesn't seem to flop all over.

No codes aside from what came up during testing for a misfire.

No recent exhaust work done to the car. Not since last year when i did the cat gaskets.

I'm trying to sell off my turbo manifold and tunable ecu on my other forum to try and scrape together the cash to get the car to reading, in hopes someone may be able to help me out.

SuberNatural 04-18-2009 08:46 PM

Bump for more help

longassname 04-20-2009 07:31 AM

I think you need to put it up on the rack where you can stand under it and examine what is going on while a drive makes it be symptomatic.

SuberNatural 04-20-2009 09:31 AM

I'd love to but I don't have any friends with lifts. I have off this week and if I can save some money and sell a few things I may be taking it somewhere.

longassname 04-20-2009 02:32 PM

Any normal repair shop will put it on the lift for you to diagnose it for free. You don't necessarily have to have them do the work for you--it's part of the quote process.

Billyboy70 04-20-2009 03:42 PM

Hi, When or how did this all start?

1986nate 04-20-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 598101)
Any normal repair shop will put it on the lift for you to diagnose it for free. You don't necessarily have to have them do the work for you--it's part of the quote process.

Really??? Not around here. Any shop here will charge at least a $15 inspection to check each individual aspect of the car. Granted if you then have that place do the work, they put that $15 towards your bill.

SuberNatural 05-12-2009 10:23 AM

SO i have pretty much come to the conclusion its just the solid trans mount. Anyone want to trade for a good cond. oem mount?