The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Worth fixing? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32800)

SVXMAN2001 04-21-2006 05:23 PM

Worth fixing?

Ok so i bought a 92 black svx with more rust than should be on an svx (there should be none!) and the rear quarter is rusted, now i didn't know that that is part of the frame and it isn't a matter of simply replacing it. The rust is right where the rear quarter panel meets the top of the side skirts. Its pretty much eaten a good portion and really no structure to that part. Is there anything that could be done? I can deal with replacing the mechanical parts but if this thing is going to keep rusting on me its really not worth it in my opinion...

SilverSpear 04-21-2006 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Ok so i bought a 92 black svx with more rust than should be on an svx (there should be none!) and the rear quarter is rusted, now i didn't know that that is part of the frame and it isn't a matter of simply replacing it. The rust is right where the rear quarter panel meets the top of the side skirts. Its pretty much eaten a good portion and really no structure to that part. Is there anything that could be done? I can deal with replacing the mechanical parts but if this thing is going to keep rusting on me its really not worth it in my opinion...

Pics???? :rolleyes:

Earthworm 04-21-2006 05:31 PM

My right rear quarter is rusting. Starts happening after body work. I've looked into cutting & replacing the bad metal but was told that it won't last. The suggestion I was told was to replace the entire quarter panel to the tune of $2500.

SilverSpear 04-21-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
My right rear quarter is rusting. Starts happening after body work. I've looked into cutting & replacing the bad metal but was told that it won't last. The suggestion I was told was to replace the entire quarter panel to the tune of $2500.

Who said so????? just sand it down, then cut and replace the worn metal. NEVER change the whole quarter panel, this is one of the toughest bodywork that could be made on the SVX. If your bodyworker is not skilled enough, the car would look funny and uneven.. :)

SVXMAN2001 04-21-2006 05:49 PM

i wish i had pics! i am in virginia now and the car is in ny. Interesting responses guys, tough decision...

Earthworm 04-21-2006 05:53 PM

Mine's probably beyond repair.

SVXMAN2001 04-21-2006 06:06 PM

do you have a pic earthworm, that way i have something to compare...

Earthworm 04-21-2006 06:38 PM

I'll do that this weekend.

SVXMAN2001 04-21-2006 06:47 PM

thanks i'd really appreciate it

momzsvx 06-28-2006 09:44 PM

I am seeking info for a rust bitten SVX

I just purchased my 1994 SVX. The car's engine seems to be great,:D yet the body needs some TLC. There is a lot of rust under the side door panels on each door both starting in the middle. I have a 1992 SVX with the same problem. My husband has not done sheet metal on cars for a long time and his experience on airplanes has been 5 years ago. He used rivets in aviation. I want my car looking hot by next summer. What can be done or has anyone been faced with this problem? The previous owner had some striping done on the car to cover up the rust. It’s done poorly, and I do want to peal it off, however it looks better then all of the rust staring at you.:eek:

Hocrest 06-28-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momzsvx
I want my car looking hot by next summer. What can be done or has anyone been faced with this problem?

What color is your car? I have a few rust free doors for sale. If you drive out here I will swap the doors and get rid of the rusty ones and you can drive home a rust free SVX :D

SSSVX 06-29-2006 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

Black color is not very obvious....you don't want to fix it is okay. People can't tell them from a far distance...:D

I think $2500 is alot (Is that US dollars?). I got a quote from a friend of mine that working at home (Bodyshop man more than 25yrs) ... Assuming my conditions are bad on both rear quarter panels, he could do that for me about $250! :)

dcarrb 06-29-2006 05:34 AM

Few rusting cars are beyond repair. Someone accomplished at restorations could cut-in new sheet metal and even structural sections; it's done all the time on antique and classic cars. Quarter-panels, floor pans, front clips... think about it. Trouble is, you probably won't find such a skilled hand at the local Maaco. And he won't come cheap.

The real problem with those rusting doors is, you gotta figure the rest of the car isn't far behind.

dcb

Earthworm 06-29-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
Black color is not very obvious....you don't want to fix it is okay. People can't tell them from a far distance...:D

I think $2500 is alot (Is that US dollars?). I got a quote from a friend of mine that working at home (Bodyshop man more than 25yrs) ... Assuming my conditions are bad on both rear quarter panels, he could do that for me about $250! :)

No, Canadian dollars. At the current exchange rate that works out to USD$2241. This includes the new panel, installation and paint.

The books say 20 hours of labour are required.

Amazonparrot 06-29-2006 11:25 AM

Its a tough call to be sure, good luck in your decision....I wouldnt sink 2500 into it though