The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mystery Item Solved (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7429)

Trevor 12-07-2002 11:38 PM

Mystery Item Solved

A while back there was a thread including a photo asking for the identification of small oblong items supplied as an accessary when an SVX was purchased as a new car.

As I recall an answer was not forthcoming but I now have it for sure. Trouble is I can't remember the wording of the thread well enough to be successful in locating it with a search.

The author or someone interested may be able to locate the thread in which case I will be able to end the mystery.

Ron Mummert 12-08-2002 12:00 AM

The thread was from 11/25 titled "Do you know what this is?" by Deadeye95 on the General Babble channel.

So...what the he** is it my good man?

Ron.

Trevor 12-08-2002 01:20 AM

Thanks Ron,

I now see that the mystery was in fact solved although I must have missed the end of the thread. I came upon the answer by accident when perusing my JDM manuals. The items are for sure, Tie Down Service Hole Plugs which should have been fitted during pre delivery checks in accordance with instructions to distributors.

Having wasted net space I will use some up by wishing you the very best of everything old gasser.

Green1995SVX 12-08-2002 01:29 AM

I wonder if mine are in place? Where under the car do they go?

Mike

Trevor 12-08-2002 01:50 AM

Hi Mike,

It appears there are two oval holes/slots underneath the car in front of the rear wheels. One on each side, in the side frames, just behind a cross member. I gather these are to take some form of hook or attachment to tie the car down during transport.

I don't think it would be any big deal if they were not fitted but Subaru must have had a reason to produce the plugs. Possibly the thought of water entering and causing rust could be the worry. Check the original thread as a diagram was posted.

Aredubjay 12-09-2002 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor
Hi Mike,

It appears there are two oval holes/slots underneath the car in front of the rear wheels. One on each side, in the side frames, just behind a cross member. I gather these are to take some form of hook or attachment to tie the car down during transport.

I don't think it would be any big deal if they were not fitted but Subaru must have had a reason to produce the plugs. Possibly the thought of water entering and causing rust could be the worry. Check the original thread as a diagram was posted.

From your description, Trevor, you're talking about the access hole covers for the rearmost spark plugs on each side.

Green1995SVX 12-09-2002 09:28 AM

Since when were the spark plugs in front of the rear wheels??? :confused: :confused: This car gets more strange every day!! :D

Mike

Aredubjay 12-09-2002 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Since when were the spark plugs in front of the rear wheels??? :confused: :confused: This car gets more strange every day!! :D

Mike

Argh! Blonde moment! Although, technically, you will ALWAYS find your spark plugs in front of the rear wheels, unless A) They've dropped out and you've run over them, or, B) They're still in the boxes, inside your garage and you've backed in. :p :D

Mr. Pockets 12-09-2002 09:32 AM

Deadeye95 even posted an answer to his own question, with a diagram that apparently came with the plugs:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...=&postid=72210

cjoffe 12-09-2002 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Although, technically, you will ALWAYS find your spark plugs in front of the rear wheels, unless A) They've dropped out and you've run over them, or, B) They're still in the boxes, inside your garage and you've backed in. :p :D

Or you drive a 911.:p

LarryIII 12-09-2002 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cjoffe

Or you drive a 911.:p

Or a Corvair. :eek:

sfsvx 12-09-2002 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII

Or a Corvair. :eek:

Or a Fiat 850. :cool:

Mr. Pockets 12-09-2002 01:07 PM

Or a Subaru 360. :D

Landshark 12-09-2002 01:11 PM

what the hell, i'll join in: or an air-cooled VW beatle. :)

Aredubjay 12-09-2002 01:20 PM

So, I made a mistake by assuming the prerequisite "In your SVX . . ." before stating " . . . technically, your spark plugs will ALWAYS be in front of your rear wheels . . . "

Sheesh! This is a rough crowd. :p :D