The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Some days we SVX people have to ask ourselves, What's next?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40939)

kwren 09-26-2007 04:08 PM

Some days we SVX people have to ask ourselves, What's next??

After driving my car for a few miles and stop some place the rpm is normal for idling. It works great until I put it in park and sit for a few seconds with the engine running.. RPM is normal idling and then suddenly drops and almost dies.

Something takes over and it goes up to about 1400 rpm and the rpm drops right back down. Like a serging thing. Up and down. It may go to normal or maybe all the way down and die.

It usually doesn’t die but sort of goes up and back down. About 1400 RPM and drops back. To normal idle rpm’s.

None of this happens if it is in drive and I am just sitting there with the car. RPM stays normal idle! In drive or any other setting with a load on it but P or N and it starts the looping thing.

Anyone have a clue? :confused:

Lots of paragraphs for Techy101 ( by the way, you are sooooo right! :lol:)

crazyhorse 09-26-2007 04:33 PM

1st things 1st....
NEVER ask what's next unless you REALLY want to know.:eek:

As for your problem. It sounds like the Idle speed control is dirty. It's really a simple matter to fix, especially when caught early. Get a can of GOOD carburetor, or brake parts cleaner. Pull the intake hoses off the throttle body. Hold the throttle open by hand. Spray cleaner liberally into the throttle openings. Allow time for the solvent to evaporate, reinstall the intake hoses, start car for that nice smooth idle.

DO NOT SPRAY CLEANER INTO A RUNNING ENGINE!!!
I had to add that, I had a friend to do that with DIRE results to his engine.

techy101 09-26-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 495879)
After driving my car for a few miles and stop some place the rpm is normal for idling. It works great until I put it in park and sit for a few seconds with the engine running.. RPM is normal idling and then suddenly drops and almost dies.

Something takes over and it goes up to about 1400 rpm and the rpm drops right back down. Like a serging thing. Up and down. It may go to normal or maybe all the way down and die.

It usually doesn’t die but sort of goes up and back down. About 1400 RPM and drops back. To normal idle rpm’s.

None of this happens if it is in drive and I am just sitting there with the car. RPM stays normal idle! In drive or any other setting with a load on it but P or N and it starts the looping thing.

Anyone have a clue? :confused:

Lots of paragraphs for Techy101 ( by the way, you are sooooo right! :lol:)

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't really have any ideas to help with your problem... but thanks for the division... although I don't believe that those count as paragraphs. ;)

kwren 09-26-2007 09:52 PM

I had to ask!

[QUOTE=crazyhorse;495880]1st things 1st....
NEVER ask what's next unless you REALLY want to know.:eek:

This is my second SVX and I think the SVX is the safest car to drive in existence. I thought I would do some necessary things to make it run for a lot more miles. I bought it on Ebay and flew to Idaho and drove it home. We pray a lot so it made it. In about a week the transmission went out. To save a few bucks and we didn’t have enough money to get a factory Subaru transmission we had it rebuilt at a local transmission shop for about $2400.00 lasted about 6 months and transmission went out again. I went with the dealer one that and it is doing pretty good.
I have replaced the water pump, the alternator, the starter, new ignition switch, the wheel bearings of course, the CV shafts, brake master cylinder, front wheel calipers, brake shoes of course. Timing belt with all new rollers, timing belt covers, the main crank shaft pulley, cam seals, oil pump seals, and the drivers side and passenger side visors. Replaced 2 of the wheels, new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Y rated. Replaced the left front fender and the front bumper cover. Replaced the front head lites, you know, the cloudy looking things. I also replaced the bright and dim bulbs. left sid marker lite. MAF, . Replaced the ball joints. Trunk and hood struts. New platinum spark plugs.
The starter was not working consistently ( an understatement) so I put in a switch under the hood to start it manually. Could never find the problem so I have just completed designing a relay system with a bosch relay that made it work like a dream. That was yesterday… today was the idle thing.

Hence my statement, What's next?

Can you imagine what would have happened to us if we didn’t pray a lot!!!
I love our SVX! It is extremely comfortable to drive, responsive at any speed and the safest car money can buy!

Thanks for the help!! You people on this SVX network are priceless!!
Keith

ensteele 09-26-2007 09:57 PM

It sounds like you almost have a new car. :) Or one that has been replaced one part at a time. :) Good luck. ;)

kwren 09-26-2007 09:58 PM

Not paragraphs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 495955)
:lol::lol::lol:

I don't really have any ideas to help with your problem... but thanks for the division... although I don't believe that those count as paragraphs. ;)

I grant you the authority to designate each of those divisions as a paragraph!

There you go!!

(hope that helps):D

kwren 09-26-2007 10:01 PM

Thanks a bunch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 495963)
It sounds like you almost have a new car. :) Or one that has been replaced one part at a time. :) Good luck. ;)

I really love to make things nice, always have! :D