The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine sqeak and overheat (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58935)

david_12121 12-30-2011 01:06 PM

engine sqeak and overheat

hey guy
so i've veen hearing this squeak for a few days now...it starts when i start the engine but it's not continuous , in stops when i rev it, and when i want to stop for a light or something, it kicks back in
i thought it's just a belt and i slept on it
last night it started smelling like burnt wood in the car and when i parked, it was smoking...it was mostly water vapor but still smelt like burnt stuff

this morning the coolant felt oily (if they don't always do...not sure)
i started it up and it sounded rough...after a few seconds it started this BAD squeak from the front of the engine...i turned it off immediately(my friend was standing in front of it and he said the belts slowed than when the squeak started)

oil is on full...didn't notice any change in it fr 2-3 months now
coolant level was normal too
(and the oil dipstick pops out in case they are related)

Green1995SVX 12-30-2011 01:30 PM

Re: engine sqeak and overheat

Your water pump is probably seized. The smell and sound is the timing belt rubbing on the seized pulley. Do a complete timing belt service, and you should be fine!

immortal_suby 12-30-2011 02:07 PM

It could be as simple as the rubber dampener on your front main pulley has separated. Make a chalk line on the pulley from outside to inside then start the engine and see if it has moved. They will also move in and out when you rev the engine. It would explain the belts slowing.

david_12121 12-30-2011 03:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2Rb...ature=youtu.be

took a vid of it...the noise stops at 0:38(the engine dropped its revs then the squeak stopped, but started smoking)
you can see where the smoke comes from...the belts or the pulley weren't hot...my best guess is the seized water pump

oab_au 12-30-2011 04:26 PM

I agree with Immortal_Suby on the crankshaft pulley separating at the rubber bond between the inner and outer sections.:)

If the water pump was seized it would not stop the accessory belts from turning.

Harvey.

Conn SVX 12-30-2011 04:27 PM

Sounds very internal . Waterpump is a good guess. Would explain rubber burning ( not wood) oil in water not sure I would have to bow down to our experts on if the pump failure could cause oii to get into the coolant .No doubt would be a cause for over heating. Pump could be just starting to seize up and only running part time.

david_12121 12-30-2011 04:38 PM

can it be both the rubber band and the water pump?!:D

but non of them explain why it stopped making that noise?
and about the oil in coolant, I'm not sure if it was oil or not...it just felt oily...

icingdeath88 12-30-2011 04:49 PM

You could take off one of the timing covers and look at the timing belt and see whether it's been sliding against something. Quick indication one way or the other.

But it does sound like the water pump seized to me as well. Just be happy it didn't break the timing belt like what happened on my black car before I got it...

svxfiles 12-30-2011 06:17 PM

Water pump OR timing belt rollers.

Green1995SVX 12-30-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 693938)
Water pump OR timing belt rollers.

I agree. It really sounds like that.

Conn SVX 12-30-2011 06:55 PM

Forgot about the rollers PO changed my timing before he sold it to me because of that. Noise was not as loud, more of a peep than that Cherp. Lucky us we don't have the geared pump line Honda has that stops and tears the teeth off the belt and then all hell breaks loose. I forgot ours is just a friction thing.

SVX92-97 12-30-2011 07:42 PM

Mine made a similar noise when reving the engine in any gear, but especially under load. Then my crank pulley separated two weeks ago, bought a new one, but have yet to install it. Interesting to see if the noise goes away once the new harmonic balancer goes in. I do know the car still has the original water pump with 156k on it.:o The previous owner did the timing belt but not the pump. That is plain ignorant IMOP

david_12121 12-31-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 693943)
Lucky us we don't have the geared pump line Honda has that stops and tears the teeth off the belt and then all hell breaks loose. I forgot ours is just a friction thing.

yeah...today i was just telling that to my friend...if it was geared, it would just stop by the road and cause lots of embarrassment...:o
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 693947)
I do know the car still has the original water pump with 156k on it.:o The previous owner did the timing belt but not the pump. That is plain ignorant IMOP

mine is probably the same way @ 135k...people are just cheap nowadays

I'm going to take a look at the belt tomorrow to see what's going on down there...hopefully its not more than one of them seized...:eek::D

immortal_suby 12-31-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 693912)
It could be as simple as the rubber dampener on your front main pulley has separated. Make a chalk line on the pulley from outside to inside then start the engine and see if it has moved. They will also move in and out when you rev the engine. It would explain the belts slowing.

After watching the video, I think that it is internal. Sounds more like a bearing than the pulley separating.

david_12121 12-31-2011 05:46 PM

i undid that whole area and it seems that for some reason, the belt was sliding off the water pump...it has melted some of the cover! and the side and the back of the belt are word down...sadly i just found out that my socket ranches end at 21mm so i can't take the crank of at this point...its a 22:mad::mad::mad: