The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   so long down had to get juiced (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30210)

calmone 12-11-2005 06:57 AM

so long down had to get juiced

months ago (when it was still warm out) the a/c goes. i go to ebay and see remaned compressors for the svx and order one (this was before they were sold here). i also spend hours seeking the cheapest drier (you know, to save $3.95). the drier doesn't have the correct fittings, and i've forgotten where it came from, and of course i throw away receipts and stuff like that all the time. we buy another one. the unit is installed, but the mechanic says it won't hold pressure. he talks to the a/c people in florida, they suggest testing the lines near the expansion valve. i tell the guy to do what he has to. what i do not know is that the valve is behind the dash and how many hours in labor to get there. needless to say, the problem was the compressor. we replace the expansion valve any way. we send the compressor back, and a replacement is sent. when installed it seeemed o.k., but within 2 days of sitting before i pick it up the cooland leaks out. again the unit is pulled and sent back. the compressor people say they don't believe it was defective, they suggest it leaked where the hoses are attached. they send either the unit back or another, we're still not sure. so, after the months have rolled by the a/c is installed finally, but the car sat so long the battery is dead. i have to get new juice to start the car from wal-mart. in the end with all the expense it would have been cheaper to go to a dealer, but if i'de have known that i would have bet the white sox in four.

Electrophil 12-11-2005 02:12 PM

The White Sox won?? :eek:

Ron Mummert 12-11-2005 07:12 PM

Pssst.....Bill. It's now winter time. No A/C necessary.

I just got a Wal-Mart battery. The super-duper yellow one. Not bad for $59.95 less the 7 bucks core return. Why can't we get our A/C parts at Wally-World?

Ron.

Earthworm 12-12-2005 02:44 PM

Hopefully the A/C will work once needed. Do you know if o-rings were replaced all around? (everywhere where a connection was separated)

huck369 12-12-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Hopefully the A/C will work once needed. Do you know if o-rings were replaced all around? (everywhere where a connection was separated)

Replace the main high pressure hose, it's the one that runs from the compressor near the battery to the ac condinsor in front of the radiator...
I've had to replace that hose on 3 different Subarus, one of them being my old SVX (cigarJohnny's car)

calmone 12-15-2005 07:18 AM

a/c not necessary!!?? look ron, i got so much invested that damn a/c that i am running it every freaken day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

intelisevil 12-15-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calmone
a/c not necessary!!?? look ron, i got so much invested that damn a/c that i am running it every freaken day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, when the windows are fogged up on the inside, the air drying effect of the A/C can clear them even before the engine has warmed up enough to help out.

Now if they're iced up on the inside, that's another story . . . I really don't like to use the ice scraper on the inside of the car, three foot long pole is a bit awkward around the steering wheel!

Dan

PS: 9:00 AM, 25.1 degrees, wasting time till the interior windows de-ice . . . on the SVX, not the house.