The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A little help with engine removal... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55799)

Black88GTA 10-24-2010 05:15 PM

A little help with engine removal...

So last weekend I decided to finally pull my engine so I could replace the head gasket that went back in March. I started taking everything apart, and everything was going more or less OK, until I got to the point where the engine had to separate from the transmission so it could come out. Here is the car as it currently sits:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...lmostthere.jpg

I removed everything holding the engine and transmission together, but I can't get them to separate no matter what I do. What am I missing here? Is there some kind of trick to this that I don't know about?

Cam 10-24-2010 05:26 PM

Re: A little help with engine removal...

Did you separate the engine mounts from the crossmember?

Black88GTA 10-24-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 661200)
Did you separate the engine mounts from the crossmember?

Yeah, I have it so that when I hoist the engine up I can move it around. It's completely free of the car , but won't break free from the transmission.

immortal_suby 10-24-2010 07:22 PM

you unbolted the flexplate, right?

Cam 10-24-2010 07:25 PM

It may help to loosen your tranny mount. I suspect the transmission is restricting the engine from lifting enough to clear the bushing studs from the crossmember. You need the studs to clear so you can slide the engine studs (threaded into the bottom holes on the backside of the engine) out of the bellhousing on the trans.

Black88GTA 10-24-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 661208)
you unbolted the flexplate, right?

Yep...got the 4 flexplate bolts, both starter bolts, the nuts on the studs at the bottom, and the remaining bellhousing bolt on the top passenger side. I have a full set of the factory service manuals, and went through the procedure top to bottom, and made sure to remove every fastener it refers to, but there must be something I'm missing...

The tranny was upgraded to a 4:44 less than 2 years ago, and the car has probably seen ~10k miles since then, so it shouldn't be seized in there or anything like that. I just can't figure it out.

Black88GTA 10-24-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 661209)
It may help to loosen your tranny mount. I suspect the transmission is restricting the engine from lifting enough to clear the bushing studs from the crossmember. You need the studs to clear so you can slide the engine studs (threaded into the bottom holes on the backside of the engine) out of the bellhousing on the trans.

This is a good idea, thanks...I haven't touched the trans mount. Will try that next. I probably won't be able to get to it until next weekend though, unless I start taking vacation days - which I just might, if it's nice out.

1986nate 10-24-2010 10:53 PM

BFH, flathead screw drivers of various sizes, and prybars... Even if the engine and trans were apart just months ago, unless you put antisieze, and even if you did, it still will sieze back together. Its just what happens when you mix aluminim and steel

SilverSpear 10-25-2010 12:33 AM

If I am not mistaken, there are studs between the engine and tranny.
I assume you removed the bolts, but the studs are holding them together?

Black88GTA 10-25-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 661230)
BFH, flathead screw drivers of various sizes, and prybars... Even if the engine and trans were apart just months ago, unless you put antisieze, and even if you did, it still will sieze back together. Its just what happens when you mix aluminim and steel

I tried banging on them and prying them a little bit, but not too hard because I didn't want to damage the parts - plus, I wasn't sure if there was something still holding them together. I'll try again and put a little more force on it when I attempt this again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 661236)
If I am not mistaken, there are studs between the engine and tranny.
I assume you removed the bolts, but the studs are holding them together?

Yep, there are two on the bottom - I pulled the nuts off of those. The transmission is just supposed to slide off once the nuts are removed, right?

Hocrest 10-25-2010 04:44 AM

If you got the 2 nuts on the studs, and the 2 long bolts up top, you got them all. Lower it back onto the engine mount, and use a chisel to start a crack, then screw drivers and pry bars to spread the crack.

1986nate 10-25-2010 07:19 PM

what hocrest said. Sorry, it`s just a little hard to type out long responses on my phone. Don`t worry about making marks on the bellhousing. It`s not going to do any damage that affects anything

Black88GTA 10-26-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 661240)
If you got the 2 nuts on the studs, and the 2 long bolts up top, you got them all. Lower it back onto the engine mount, and use a chisel to start a crack, then screw drivers and pry bars to spread the crack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 661274)
what hocrest said. Sorry, it`s just a little hard to type out long responses on my phone. Don`t worry about making marks on the bellhousing. It`s not going to do any damage that affects anything

Well, it's finally out! Thanks to all who responded. A bit of SiliKroil and some wacking on it with a knife edge sharpened chisel and bigass hammer did it. Used a lot more force this time, since I was sure there really wasn't anything else holding it together.