The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Video on people driving 55 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35758)

NapaBavarian 10-22-2006 12:44 PM

Video on people driving 55

Slow

Follow one law to break another?

Electrophil 10-22-2006 02:18 PM

Amazing... really is.

But most have raised the limit above 55 now, haven't they?

Between Las Vegas and San Diego, the speed limit is 75, and a surprising amount of people are obviously passing at over a hundred. :eek:

thundering02 10-22-2006 03:35 PM

Now that is an idea to start doing around the STL

Motorsport-SVX 10-22-2006 10:36 PM

between Tucson and Phx, LV, San Diego and any
main artery into Ca is all 75, and most everyone drives
85+ w/o getting pulled over.
About the only time anyone gets pulled over is if you are
driving erratically, weaving in and out of cars etc.
I followed a Border Patrol Van home one nite from Phx to
Tucson (he was headed to Nogales Mx Im sure) it was at
nite and we avg 95 the whole way and passed a few hwy patrol
cars in the process.

thats an interesting vid though...sucks to live in GA

dcarrb 10-23-2006 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX
...sucks to live in GA

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far.

I've logged a gazillion miles on the highway featured in the video (I-285). Got pulled over once on a Thanksgiving morning and got a warning, but also made an appearance on the evening news as there was a cameraman and reporter in the car doing a report on holiday traffic. Got a ticket early one dark morning long ago 'cos I'd gotten fed-up with a car to my right that kept pacing me no matter how fast I went... whoops; turned-out to be an unmarked Dekalb County cruiser. He admired my car, a '68 Mustang, and almost seemed reluctant to issue the $35 ticket.

To tell the truth, I did not realize the speed limit on '285 was 55. I tend to run at the prevailing speed of traffic or a tick above, enough to maintain the left lane most of the time, and vehicles (usually SUVs and pickups, curiously) occasionally pass as if I were dragging an anchor. Don't know what I'd fear worse at that speed, being overrun by a big rig, or frankly, shot.

I've also seen some truly horrific accidents on that road, like "the big one" at Talladega or Daytona. (Edit: It's a wonder the stunt in the video didn't cause one.)

dcb

Motorsport-SVX 10-23-2006 12:05 PM

doh, nothing personal
just meant for the freeway thing
At least you have grass everywhere :)
which Az doesnt :(

NapaBavarian 10-24-2006 01:17 PM

While they were following the speed limit to a T they were breaking another law, keep right except to pass, while they were so proud about following the law and claimed that following the law made the road unsafe it was actually breaking the "keep right except to pass" law that was the issue.

dcarrb 10-24-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
While they were following the speed limit to a T they were breaking another law, keep right except to pass, while they were so proud about following the law and claimed that following the law made the road unsafe it was actually breaking the "keep right except to pass" law that was the issue.

I don't think they were proud; their point was to demonstrate the absurdity of the 55 miles per hour speed limit relative to how fast folks actually want run on that road. If you abide by the limit out of respect for the law (or for fear of a ticket), you run the risk of getting creamed and actually present more of a danger than if you just pick-up the pace and go with the flow.

"Keep right except to pass" has got to be the most widely ignored road rule in all the land.

dcb

Earthworm 10-24-2006 01:54 PM

The rules most often broken are the rules least often enforced.

Technically they were all passing but since they couldn't go over 55mph they couldn't complete the pass :)

hexadec0079 10-30-2006 12:43 AM

i know the purpose was to enact a change, but it demonstrates what MILLIONS do every day and why America can never have a high speed public road (see: Autobahn, Wangan, etc.)

The epiphany is:

LANE CONTROL MOTHER F&%#*ERS!!!!

Left lane is for passing, thats about it. Slower traffic naturally filters right, but when Grandma in her Odyssey turns into a Smokey and clogs the Left lane doing the EXACT speed limit, problems ensue. Then they get pissed when I flash the high beams. Move it over!!

Note to self: make left lane is for passing, bumpersticker. Nevermind, I'd get shot very quickly by Smokey, errr, Grandma.

Rant_003.[End]

NapaBavarian 11-10-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexadec0079
i know the purpose was to enact a change, but it demonstrates what MILLIONS do every day and why America can never have a high speed public road (see: Autobahn, Wangan, etc.)

The epiphany is:

LANE CONTROL MOTHER F&%#*ERS!!!!

Left lane is for passing, thats about it. Slower traffic naturally filters right, but when Grandma in her Odyssey turns into a Smokey and clogs the Left lane doing the EXACT speed limit, problems ensue. Then they get pissed when I flash the high beams. Move it over!!

Note to self: make left lane is for passing, bumpersticker. Nevermind, I'd get shot very quickly by Smokey, errr, Grandma.

Rant_003.[End]

:) this was what I was trying to get at :) if you want to not get a ticket then stay in the right lane doing the limit, or go with traffic and take a slight risk, drive way too fast? don't cry about the ticket...

NikFu S. 11-10-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
"Keep right except to pass" has got to be the most widely ignored road rule in all the land.

In Anchorage and surrounding highways that rule only applies when a sign is posted saying so, and everyone follows it.

The worst people up here are tourists with their huge RVs blocking traffic so they can look at the mountains/flora/fauna.