The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick question about the MAF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35125)

Ahner 09-12-2006 11:02 AM

Quick question about the MAF

I got a new maf from a member here and it is completely open, no screen in it like the one I'm pulling out. Is this screen neccessary to stop some things the air filter doesn't, or is it something that can be done without?

PS. Why is this power connector so hard to get off? Is there a trick or does the possibility that it hasn't been removed in 144,000 miles play a part?

Nevermind, pried it off and replaced the screen anyway.

Manarius 09-12-2006 02:50 PM

MAF's have to have that screen. It screens out big stuff from hitting the sensor.

The connector usually has a little corrosion it on from age - that's why it's such a PITA to get off.

PDSides 09-12-2006 04:00 PM

Your post reminds me of the fellow who ordered a water pump from Sears & Roebuck (a long time ago when a pump was manual, with a handle). It came in a wooden box, packed in straw. He assembled the pump but couldn't find the handle. Being more than a little PO'ed he sat down and wrote a letter of complaint to Sears & Roebuck. Nearing completion of the letter he noticed his children playing with something they had found in the bottom of the box in which the pump was shipped - the handle. Not wanting to waste choice words, he put a post script on his letter that said, "After writing this letter I find the G-- D--- handle in the bottom of the box." He mailed the letter. I see that you too "found the handle" so to speak. Best wishes.
Preston

immortal_suby 09-12-2006 07:02 PM

the maf is directly downstream of an air filter that screens out particles down to the micron level.

the screen is a waste of material. just don't throw any rocks or tools into your airbox and you'll be fine without the screen.

the connector will pop right off if you slide back the little cover. The little cover sometimes makes it hard to push down far enough on the quick release tab for it to clear the teet.

SomethingElse 09-12-2006 07:18 PM

screen

In school they told us the screen was to help straiten out the air for faster a faster flow. I dont know how much of a difference it will make but thats what they told us.:)

immortal_suby 09-12-2006 07:30 PM

I read that here before also, but I ran for years without the screen and never had any hiccups or lost any noticeable amount of power or mileage. the engineers must have put it there for a reason, but I really saw no loss from taking it out.

cdigerlando 09-13-2006 11:24 AM

Cya

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
the engineers must have put it there for a reason, but I really saw no loss from taking it out.

Yes its called CYA.

I have run for years without a screen. The MAF worked great without it. It only slows down the flow. They may have been thinking that it evens the flow out by creating turbulence , but I have not seen any differences. It is most likely a CYA measure in case a mechanic leaves a bolt in the airbox (had that happen).