The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A few annoying problems I want to fix: (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32198)

zavikan 03-20-2006 07:34 AM

A few annoying problems I want to fix:

My trip meter does not work apparently. Odo works fine. The button for the trip meter feels "funny". The car used to have white gauges that I removed. I dont remember if they worked before that. Suggestions to fix? Can I replace just the trip meter? I have a donor car.

The car has Drilled/Slotted rotors all the way around. Under hard breaking I notice a low "wwssshhhh" sound, for lack of a better term. There doesnt seem to be any warping. Pads are fine. No squeel. Is this the nature of this kind of rotor?

There is rust forming on both sides behind the rear wheel. Isn't there some drainage tube that gets clogged and causes this or something?

I had more questions...but I forgot them... I'll be back with them later.. :D

huck369 03-20-2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zavikan
My trip meter does not work apparently. Odo works fine. The button for the trip meter feels "funny". The car used to have white gauges that I removed. I dont remember if they worked before that. Suggestions to fix? Can I replace just the trip meter? I have a donor car.

The car has Drilled/Slotted rotors all the way around. Under hard breaking I notice a low "wwssshhhh" sound, for lack of a better term. There doesnt seem to be any warping. Pads are fine. No squeel. Is this the nature of this kind of rotor?

There is rust forming on both sides behind the rear wheel. Isn't there some drainage tube that gets clogged and causes this or something?

I had more questions...but I forgot them... I'll be back with them later.. :D

Try "Flicking" the trip button, and holding it in, then letting it "flip" back out by slipping your fingernail off it to th eside...got mine to start working again on my old pearly that way.

I don't have slotted and drilled rotors, so I'll hold off on any comments on that...

As for the rust, you just have to make sure you spray back up around th einside of the wheel well, to rinse out all the grime and road salt that can build up in there....a automatic car wash will NOT clean this out.
But if there is already rust there, there's no avoiding it now, and body work will be needed to stop it.

zavikan 03-20-2006 08:18 AM

I also have this EXTREMELY ANNOYING whistle when ever I use my Heater in the car. any speed. Though its volume changes w/ the speed (low med high)

Suggestions to fix? its so annoying...

huck369 03-20-2006 08:23 AM

Pull the heater motor out and oil it....it's kind of behind the glovebox..

Earthworm 03-20-2006 05:30 PM

Actually the motor can be oiled without removal. The bottom cover is held on with 2 screws. Remove the cover, clean out all the junk, put a few drops of oil in the cover (there's a gauze in the cap that holds it) then replace the cover.

The brushes eventually wore out on mine and I had someone cut new brushes to fit. Working great ever since.

zavikan 03-20-2006 07:59 PM

...Ok. could you better describe the motor location?

Flicking the Trip didnt work.

19svx94 03-20-2006 09:49 PM

all slotted rotors whistle when coming to a stop its just the heat pockets in the slots being built up and releasing

Speedklix 03-21-2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19svx94
all slotted rotors whistle when coming to a stop its just the heat pockets in the slots being built up and releasing

yup, its normal.

Earthworm 03-21-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zavikan
...Ok. could you better describe the motor location?

Look up from where the passenger's right foot would normally be. The bottom of the motor is held on with 2 screws. Be careful when removing it as there will be a lot of junk in there. I've done this on 2 SVX's now and both were packed pretty good.

pavanbabut 03-26-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Look up from where the passenger's right foot would normally be. The bottom of the motor is held on with 2 screws. Be careful when removing it as there will be a lot of junk in there. I've done this on 2 SVX's now and both were packed pretty good.

will try this today....

-Pavan

zavikan 03-26-2006 05:18 AM

hmmm. I tried prying it away, and it won't come off. How hard is it supposed to be?

James

It's Just Eric 03-26-2006 08:52 AM

I have all the problems you listed except the rusy one.
my trip meter, I just drive and jiggle and mess around with the knob for it untill it actually starts working
The air conditioning whistle...I think is probly a misaligned duct thats leaking (and whistling at the same time )
The drilled and slotted rotors are suposed to make that funny noise

pavanbabut 03-26-2006 12:37 PM

Yep, having some oil drops in the container hole stopped the whistling noise.:)
Here are some pics in my locker
thanks earthworm and huck, I am thinking of replacing my motor before this small repair.:eek:

-Pavan

immortal_suby 03-26-2006 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavanbabut
Yep, having some oil drops in the container hole stopped the whistling noise.:)
Here are some pics in my locker
thanks earthworm and huck, I am thinking of replacing my motor before this small repair.:eek:

-Pavan

great pictures - I think I'll go do this now - my motor has always been loud but I always figured it was just the noise of the air in the vents.

pavanbabut 03-26-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
great pictures - I think I'll go do this now - my motor has always been loud but I always figured it was just the noise of the air in the vents.

Hi,
our vents are loud when you are running them at high speed, thts just the noise of air I beleive. The noise we are talking about is the whistling noise which you can clearly hear from under the passenger locker area and the pitch changes according to the speed you select. I am not sure if you are talking about this noise or the vent noise but just want to be sure about the type of noise. :)
good luck,
-Pavan