The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Torque Converter lockup delayed? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28915)

joeaxial 10-12-2005 08:00 PM

Torque Converter lockup delayed?

Hey all,
When I start my SVX for the first time each day and drive off it takes about 7 to 10 miles of highway driving before the converter locks. After this initial delay the converter locks up right away. It seems to lock up firmly. I don't know if it took this long for lock up before the 4.44 legacy trans was installed because I purchased it with the tranny bad.

Is this normal?

Steve

Electrophil 10-12-2005 08:02 PM

Yeah, the transmission has to warm up to a certain temperature before it will allow TC lock up. I forgot what that temp was. But that's normal. (Both the temp thing and my forgetting...Both are normal. :D )

Manarius 10-13-2005 04:42 AM

Tranny won't lock until it's at 50F. It also won't shift into 4th until it's at 50F either.

joeaxial 10-13-2005 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Tranny won't lock until it's at 50F. It also won't shift into 4th until it's at 50F either.

In my case the tranny shifts to 4th pretty much right away, but it still takes a very long time for the converter to lock the first time. I don't think I've driven the car yet when the ambient temperature was below 50F.
Steve

dcarrb 10-13-2005 06:35 AM

It's more like 150 degrees before the TC locks; at this time of year, with a mid-sized, supplemental ATF cooler, I'm nearing the end of my 12-mile commute when I feel it hook up.

dcb

svxfiles 10-13-2005 07:44 AM

On the stock SVXi I drive, it takes about 7 miles in the mornings before they lockup. On the 4.44s, it takes longer, and is less noticable.

Chiketkd 10-13-2005 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
On the stock SVXi I drive, it takes about 7 miles in the mornings before they lockup. On the 4.44s, it takes longer, and is less noticable.

On my 4.44 geared SVX with an aftermarket 16,000lb GVW trans cooler mounted on the radiator, it takes about 2 miles or 4-5 minutes before my t/c locks up.

I plan on relocating the trans cooler to my driver's side fender this weekend or the next. I'll see how much longer it takes afterwards...

-Chike

mbtoloczko 10-13-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
It's more like 150 degrees before the TC locks;

dcb

That's my experience too. On highway trips in the winter, any time my ATF temp gauge dropped below about 140F, the TC would unlock.

Earthworm 10-13-2005 11:59 AM

My experiences showed I get 4th gear at 50°F, TC lockup at 150°F and TC unlock if the temp dropped below 100°F

dcarrb 10-13-2005 12:33 PM

I know one thing: Mine goes much, much farther on a gallon of gas with the torque converter locked, provided the RPMs are high enough to keep the engine from lugging.

dcb

oab_au 10-13-2005 04:56 PM

Cooler.

The time for the converter to lock depends on the ATF temp. While the converter is working it will produce heat in the oil, when the oil reaches operating temp, it will lock.

When a additional cooler is fitted, it should be fitted in series, before the orignal cooler in the radiator. This allows the extra cooler to reduce the oil temp, and the water cooler to stablize the oil temp, allow it to heat up to temp faster.If the extra cooler is fitted after the orignal, it will cool the oil temp back down,to a lower temp that will keep the converter unlocked for a longer time.

Subaru used a oil/water heat exchanger, as all cars do, for this reasion.

Harvey. ;)

joeaxial 10-13-2005 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the info.

It sounds like my SVX is shifting the t/c as it should.
Steve

JIMSVX 10-13-2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
The time for the converter to lock depends on the ATF temp. While the converter is working it will produce heat in the oil, when the oil reaches operating temp, it will lock.

When a additional cooler is fitted, it should be fitted in series, before the orignal cooler in the radiator. This allows the extra cooler to reduce the oil temp, and the water cooler to stablize the oil temp, allow it to heat up to temp faster.If the extra cooler is fitted after the orignal, it will cool the oil temp back down,to a lower temp that will keep the converter unlocked for a longer time.

Subaru used a oil/water heat exchanger, as all cars do, for this reasion.

Harvey. ;)

Harvey - My ATF lines do not go through the orignal radiator. The added external ATF cooler is located in front of the water radiator. Could this be keeping the oil cold enough to be the reason my T/C never locks-up? I've had the car since last winter and have never seen lock-up. This includes driving it this summer in the city and on the highway with temps over 100F.

- Jim

dcarrb 10-14-2005 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMSVX
Harvey - My ATF lines do not go through the orignal radiator. The added external ATF cooler is located in front of the water radiator. Could this be keeping the oil cold enough to be the reason my T/C never locks-up? I've had the car since last winter and have never seen lock-up. This includes driving it this summer in the city and on the highway with temps over 100F.

Not to step over Harvey (who has forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know), but the simple answer is, if that external cooler is big enough to keep the ATF from reaching 150 degrees, then yes, your TC will never lock.

dcb

oab_au 10-15-2005 05:27 PM

Cooler.

Feel free Darrell, :)
Yes Jim, that happens, a lot of people took it out of circuit when it blocked. and just fitted the air cooler. What they should have done is reverse flush the cooler to remove the debri, and fit a filter to prevent it from happening again.When the extra air cooler is installed before the water cooler, it then will remove the high-end heat, then the water cooler can stablise the temp to normal operating temp, so the trans will operate normally.

Harvey. ;)