The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tranny cooler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28859)

dannmarr 10-10-2005 07:49 AM

tranny cooler

I've been reading that many SVX owners have installed a tranny cooler. I bought my SVX with a rebuilt trans and never had a problem with over heating ( I drive 200+ miles a day) Do I need one installed? What is the advantage?

SilverSpear 10-10-2005 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
I've been reading that many SVX owners have installed a tranny cooler. I bought my SVX with a rebuilt trans and never had a problem with over heating ( I drive 200+ miles a day) Do I need one installed? What is the advantage?

If yours is a 92 or a 93, the tranny cooler is a must. If a 94 and above, you have the option of either install one or not. It is up to U. But paying $100 max is better than paying $4000 for another tranny rebuilt...

dannmarr 10-10-2005 05:36 PM

Where can I pick one up?

benebob 10-10-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

never had a problem with over heating ( I drive 200+ miles a day) Do I need one installed? What is the advantage?

How do you know unless you have a tranny temp gauge? The engine temp and tranny fluid temps are totally different. My guess is you have issues just from where you live. Just do a search of tranny coolers on yahoo for the workings of one and why it helps a transmission. Then do a search here for tranny coolers there is TOO much info to sort through.

dannmarr 10-10-2005 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=benebob] My guess is you have issues just from where you live.
Can you please elaborate on this?

benebob 10-10-2005 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=dannmarr]
Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
My guess is you have issues just from where you live.
Can you please elaborate on this?

Hills! Changing gears tend to heat her up nicely. Do a search on tranny temps and all. I'd personally recommend a tranny temp gauge and a large external cooler for ya as would 99% of all the SVX owners here. I typically run 100 degrees above outside temp. on WITH a big cooler on mine WITH NORMAL TRAFFIC DRIVING which puts ya up in the flash point (where tranny fluid will break down and starts killing your tranny above 90 degrees outside.

Alycone 10-11-2005 12:47 AM

Generally a good idea to get a temp gauge and cooler, I got my gauge from motorsports: http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/ . Its nice to be able to see what the tranny temp is doing, like when it spikes going over a mountain pass. The cooler was just essential. I dont have a filter, but a lotta folks like adding em too.

The Goat 10-11-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Where can I pick one up?

Specifically?

National Auto Stores
Address: Route 940 & Route 115, Blakeslee, PA 18610
Phone: (570) 643-6995

I'm looking into them, too - the B&M cooler seems to be the way to go. :)

(Or you can order one through the Motorsport-svx on here - planetsvx.com, if I'm not mistaken.

benebob 10-11-2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Goat
Specifically?

National Auto Stores
Address: Route 940 & Route 115, Blakeslee, PA 18610
Phone: (570) 643-6995

I'm looking into them, too - the B&M cooler seems to be the way to go. :)

(Or you can order one through the Motorsport-svx on here - planetsvx.com, if I'm not mistaken.

summitracing.com has everything you'd need as well, any local auto store will also have 'em but most of these places have the tube design which doesn't seem to cool as good from my understanding.

dannmarr 10-11-2005 07:41 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I noticed all types and sizes of coolers. Which one does the best job for the SVX?

svxcuseme 10-12-2005 07:34 AM

B&M cooler BMM-70268

I used the B&M (BMM-70268) mounted in front of the A/C condensor, behind the bumper. Size is perfect. I had to grind a little on the inside bumper so it would not scrub on the cooler but that was not really necessary. I'm a perfectionist. You can barely fit this one in with no mods.

If you plan on mounting it in front on ther ciondensor, I would'nt buy anything larger. You will have a hard time making it fit.

As far as how it works...no idea. I added a temp gauge and tranny filter but did'nt like them so I took them off. Never got any baselines.

Good luck! :D

EDIT: Here's a link to this part on Summit Racing's site.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

benebob 10-12-2005 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcuseme

As far as how it works...no idea. I added a temp gauge and tranny filter but did'nt like them so I took them off. Never got any baselines.

That's the thing I don't think anybody has really gotten a true baseline by installing prior to the cooler.

Whoru465 10-12-2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

That's the thing I don't think anybody has really gotten a true baseline by installing prior to the cooler.

I think I read baselines somewhere before when I searched this very same question. Although, like somone else said, that's a lot of information to sort through. However, I wasn't having problems with my car, but I installed the cooler anyway...A little peace of mind. ;) Good luck.

benebob 10-12-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoru465
However, I wasn't having problems with my car, but I installed the cooler anyway...A little peace of mind. ;) Good luck.

How would you know? The tranny temp idiot light comes on at 270 degrees. Anything over about 195 is bad for a transmission and it can take quite some time for the problems to surface.

Whoru465 10-12-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

How would you know? The tranny temp idiot light comes on at 270 degrees. Anything over about 195 is bad for a transmission and it can take quite some time for the problems to surface.

I know because there were no shift problems and my fluid was clear and pink, not burned. Don't need a gauge to figure that out. The fluid continues to remain in good shape. ;) Any other questions I can answer?