The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tire wear (transfer case?) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56372)

oneringer 01-17-2011 03:10 PM

Tire wear (transfer case?)

Our SVX seems to wear tires out very quickly (maybe 10K miles). This time it seems like the rears are way more worn than the front. The tire place is telling us it could be a transfer case issue. Does that make sense? If so, any idea of repair cost? Thanks.

oab_au 01-17-2011 04:00 PM

Re: Tire wear (transfer case?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneringer (Post 666964)
Our SVX seems to wear tires out very quickly (maybe 10K miles). This time it seems like the rears are way more worn than the front. The tire place is telling us it could be a transfer case issue. Does that make sense? If so, any idea of repair cost? Thanks.

No it won't have any more affect on the rears than the fronts. The rear tend to wear the inside edges, more due to the camber.

Harvey.

Crazy_pilot 01-17-2011 04:06 PM

Have you had an alignment done? The SVX (with the stock auto tranny) typically burns the front tires down quicker than the rear.

What tires are you running on the car?

oneringer 01-17-2011 05:05 PM

Well, at this point they're some crappy Kumo's. I think it's an alignment issue, just wanted to see what others thought. The whole transfer case thing just doesn't make sense to me.

Manarius 01-17-2011 08:55 PM

Well, the car has no transfer case, so I would immediately suspect the competency of your tire place :rolleyes:

kwren 01-17-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 667009)
Well, the car has no transfer case, so I would immediately suspect the competency of your tire place :rolleyes:

Same old story... just a different building.:(

Keith:cool:

oneringer 01-18-2011 12:13 PM

Well, I suspected that they were full of it when I found out that they don't do alignments. A tire dealer that doesn't do alignments? This is a MAJOR nationwide dealership too. I just didn't get why a full time AWD vehicle would even have a transfer case. And people wonder why auto mechanics have a bad rep!

oab_au 01-18-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneringer (Post 667067)
Well, I suspected that they were full of it when I found out that they don't do alignments. A tire dealer that doesn't do alignments? This is a MAJOR nationwide dealership too. I just didn't get why a full time AWD vehicle would even have a transfer case. And people wonder why auto mechanics have a bad rep!

Well to be fair, it does have a transfer box. It's on the back of the gear box, containing the Transfer gears. Just doesn't look like the "normal transfer box".:)

Still, doesn't have any thing to do with the tyre wear.

Harvey.

oneringer 01-18-2011 04:24 PM

Well the rear alignment was about as far off as one could imagine, so I'm pretty sure that's gonna take care of the problem. Guess we'll find out in about another 10K! Thanks for the chat.