The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Info on 5 speed swap (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6726)

Subafreak 10-30-2002 05:49 PM

Info on 5 speed swap

Question to any one who did 5 speed swap.

Do I need any of the wires going in to the TCU and if not should I take them out of the harness and take out the TCU. I need the hole for the clutch master.?

I have the two piece drive shaft so what exactly do I do to make it right.?

For the rear end I have to take apart and put the new ring and pinion on the SVX carrier and set them up and put them back in the SVX rear right?

huck369 10-30-2002 06:03 PM

Re: Info on 5 speed swap

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Question to any one who did 5 speed swap.

Do I need any of the wires going in to the TCU and if not should I take them out of the harness and take out the TCU. I need the hole for the clutch master.?

I have the two piece drive shaft so what exactly do I do to make it right.?

For the rear end I have to take apart and put the new ring and pinion on the SVX carrier and set them up and put them back in the SVX rear right?

Auto Tranny Electronics:
Just remove the TCU leave the wires as you will need to tie into a few of them.

The Driveshaft:
You need to have the front section lengthened 2"

The Rear Diff:
You got it!:cool:

Subafreak 10-30-2002 06:52 PM

Thank you.

AutoTchr 10-30-2002 09:36 PM

b4 you remove the new gears, take a print and remember it. Install them the same way. Don't try to change the print on used gears, you will get a howl.

Have fun! I am working my a$$ off but I am also having fun.

Subafreak 11-02-2002 01:45 PM

Thanks Ill keep that in mind.

That the price we pay for not leaving well enough alone, actually it will cost me $200 to convert and many more to fix the autobox.

strange179 02-28-2003 08:42 AM

toopid? question

Quote:

Originally posted by AutoTchr
b4 you remove the new gears, take a print and remember it. Install them the same way. Don't try to change the print on used gears, you will get a howl.

Have fun! I am working my a$$ off but I am also having fun.

How do you go about making a print? I understand that you mean to take a print of the contact patch between the ring and pinion gears but I don't know how to do it. I rebuilt the auto tranny in my first SVX but the front diff grenaded about 10K miles later. I'm guessing that this was caused by me not adjusting the gears correctly because I didn't know how to do it right. The instructions in the shop manual are quite complicated and it seems you have a simplified procedure.

If you could post some instructions I'd appreciate it and I'll also add it to the compilation I'm making for people doing their own 5 Speed swap.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

Subafreak 02-28-2003 05:54 PM

Lets assume your just asking how to check the gear pattern on the rearend. The front end is very tricky and requiers special tools.
To check the rearend put a little white grease on the gears and turn the pinion in the forward direction all the way around, then compare the grease marks to the wear marks on the gear. They should be in the same place, if not you have to move shims to adjust. Don't forget to set the bearing preload too!

AutoTchr 03-01-2003 01:38 AM

Also take prints on both the drive and coast side. Also "load" the gear while you take a print. In other words apply resistance to the ring gear while turning the pinion.

Let me know if there is anything else!

strange179 03-03-2003 05:53 AM

thanks

I have a better understanding of how to adjust the gears now. I'll have to go back to the manual to find how to adjust the front set as well as the preload. If I come up with more questions I'll ask.
Thanks again,
Justin

p.s. Why the heck does almost everything on this car need a "special tool" to be installed, removed, or adjusted and why can't I get these "special tools"? :confused: