The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   To do or not to do: Cam Seals (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14654)

SVXMAN2001 11-24-2003 08:21 PM

To do or not to do: Cam Seals

I've searched the site and could only find stuff on how hard it is to do. And i've spoken to some people and they confirm it is hard. I just thought i would throw the question out. Is it really THAT hard? Do i need special tools to do it? I would rather do it myself. There isn't a how-to on this so i suppose this further confirms the difficulty. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts. Thanks in advance. Chris

SubaSteevo 11-24-2003 08:23 PM

It's actually easy to do, once you get the cam pulleys off. I tried for like 6 hours with various tools and accomplished nothing besides bending the lip of the pulley.

svx_commuter 11-25-2003 05:56 AM

I have done it with special tools.

rcraven32 11-26-2003 10:11 AM

Yes it sucks! But not hard only time consuming

I used the Chilton's manual as well as posts from here. The hardest parts were getting the Cam pulleys, center shaft pulley (sorry the part name is not coming to me), and picking the seals out.

I used a strap wrench for the cam pulleys, to hold them and swore really loud to get the bolt loose.

A 3 inch gear puller for the center pulley and a broke all but one hook tools. I bought a multi purpose hook tool from the hardware store for $5.

I know it adds time taking out the radiator, but I dediced not to take a chance of screwing it up and I needed the extra room.

To do it again I would say it is a one weekend job, but the first time it took 2 weekends for me.

The cost savings doing it yourself are incredible compared to what I have seen posted.

If you have a second vehicle incase it takes longer than planned I would say do it yourself. And order your parts atleast 2 weeks ahead of time.

SVX-Utah 11-26-2003 12:41 PM

ANYONE HAVE THE PART NUMBERS FOR THE 1992 CAM SEALS?

Mr. Pockets 11-26-2003 01:03 PM

I suspect that a gear puller would help get the cam pulleys off. I used one to get the crank pulley and then the crank sprocket off. It cost me about $30 for an adjustable, three-arm one at Sears, but I figured it was worth how easy it made those two tasks.

rcraven32 11-26-2003 07:07 PM

Part number

I do by chance still have the Cam seal number. They are Fedral Mogul 223230. I ordered them from Advanced Auto Parts.

I did not have to use the gear puller on the cam pulleys, but could not have gotten the crank pulley or sprocket off with out it.

The gear puller I got was from another project, but it was a $10 cheap one from Northern Tools.

I ordered the new timing belt covers from subaruparts.com.

6evil9 11-27-2003 12:23 AM

hi everyone
i also decided to change cam seals. Should i change the pulleys as well? i guess changing cam belt will be good idea aswell..

so what pulleys usually go bad and how to tell? (silicon pulleys?)

anyone got pictures of cam seals? coz i think i saw them in usual parts shop.

cheers

Earthworm 11-27-2003 10:01 PM

Change as much as you can afford while you're in there...unless you like taking apart the front of your car?

- cam seals
- crank seal
- timing belt
- water pump
- oil pump o-ring
- any other cheap, easy to replace items.