The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny issues... Please Help! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42311)

midwestsvx 12-13-2007 07:49 AM

Tranny issues... Please Help!

I've recently purchased a 93 silver anniversary edition SVX. manufactured 3/93, #246 with 116,000 miles. It shifted a little late from 1st to 2nd, but the rest of the gears just fine. I immediately put a tranny cooler on it. It drove great the first couple of days, then started randomly stalling. At red lights and while driving. While trouble shooting the stall issue, i.e. MAF, Idle air control unit, TPS etc. I decided to try driving the car in 3rd, which I understand is good to do around town. It drove fine and less stalling... but still stalling. I noticed something strange with the tranny. At cold start up the transition from 1st to 2nd was at lower rpms but then would kick back down to 1st, rev to higher rpms (4,500) or so and then shift normally. The temperature here in Indiana is currently cold... and my tranny will not shift out of 2nd. It actually doesn't want to shift out of 1st without tweeking the engine to about 5,000 rpm or so. Since this has happened, I have changed tranny filter and flush of the system. I have also reverted back to stock tranny cooler (radiator), and for kicks, disconnected the tranny resistor located behind the battery for any change... No change except my "POWER" light flashes 16 times when I start the car, which I know is a TCU code. What code, I have no idea. Is my TCU bad or did my tranny take a S#%T. I've also heard some talk of Brake Band Adjustment? Could that be an issue? I'm a little lost on what to try next... I'm the proud owner of a 2002 WRX that I bought new and have heavily modified. I autoX it every year and love every second of it. I am also the proud new owner of 93 SVX #246...I also love this car... I would love it more if I could drive it. Anyone who has some insite, advice, or suggestions, please, PLEASE let me know.
Thanks for listening to the Insanity...
Chip

P.S. I left out one small detail. The car stopped the random stalling as soon as the tranny issue started. ( torque converter?)
I don't know...

ensteele 12-13-2007 08:15 AM

Welcome to the site. The power light flashing 16 times is because you unplugged the tranny resistor located behind the battery. Nothing to worry about, but it just does that. :o

midwestsvx 12-13-2007 10:04 AM

Any other ideas as to what is going on with the tranny? I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks,
Chip

Trevor 12-13-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestsvx (Post 515015)
Any other ideas as to what is going on with the tranny? I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks,
Chip

You report --- " While trouble shooting the stall issue, i.e. MAF, Idle air control unit, TPS etc."

Exactly what checks did you perform?:confused:

midwestsvx 12-15-2007 05:06 PM

Thanks for replying,
I did resistance testing with an ohmmeter on TPS. Measured voltage on MAF with key in "ON" position and while running. IAC valve I couldn't get too...without some disassembly. The TPS and MAF sensor checked out OK. The strange thing is that as soon as the tranny stopped shifting properly, the car has never stalled since. So I just figured the IAC valve is working. I drove the car today to put away for the winter. In (D) I only get 1st and 2nd gear. In (3) Ionly get 1st gear... I'm at a loss... I'm trying to look on the bright side.
At least the car doesn't stall anymore:o I'm seriously considering a 5 speed MT swap. Anyone with info, Please throw it my way...
Thanks,
Chip

Trevor 12-15-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestsvx (Post 515529)
In (D) I only get 1st and 2nd gear. In (3) Ionly get 1st gear... I'm at a loss... I'm trying to look on the bright side.
At least the car doesn't stall anymore:o I'm seriously considering a 5 speed MT swap. Anyone with info, Please throw it my way...
Thanks,
Chip

It could very well be no more than the selector being out of adjustment. A cable operated system is involved in the external mechanism which could be suspect. As you have not reported any slipping issues, hopefully nothing expensive may be involved. :)

midwestsvx 12-15-2007 06:10 PM

Hey Trevor,
I am not experiencing any slipping. just not shifting properly. This mechanical adjustment your speaking of... Are you talking about the brake band adjutment? Or are you talking about shift linkage? I am willing to try everything that is suggested. My SVX knowledge is limited but I am learning so much already. Plus I don't want to put another $2,000 to $4,000 dollars in it if I don't have to.
Thanks for your help,
Chip

Mistoffeles 12-15-2007 07:11 PM

I test drove an old Legacy Outback that had the same problem between 1st and 2nd, the dealership refuses to sell the car without replacing the whole tranny. Fortunately, I had already decided on a beautiful forest green SVX with tan leather interior that was newer, cheaper and in better shape.

Crazy_pilot 12-15-2007 07:13 PM

Side note: Your car's silver? Weren't all the 93 AE's red?

[/hijack]

Trevor 12-15-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestsvx (Post 515551)
Hey Trevor,
I am not experiencing any slipping. just not shifting properly. This mechanical adjustment your speaking of... Are you talking about the brake band adjutment? Or are you talking about shift linkage? I am willing to try everything that is suggested. My SVX knowledge is limited but I am learning so much already. Plus I don't want to put another $2,000 to $4,000 dollars in it if I don't have to.
Thanks for your help,
Chip

No, I am not referring to the brake band adjustment at this stage. I am referring to the range selector mechanism (shift linkage).
In D you are missing 3. In 3 you are missing 2 & 3. This could be because the selector is moving one position short of full travel in the direction of D.

Hopefully this could be the problem.;)

YourConfused 12-16-2007 12:33 AM

I would have to say that Trevor's suggestion does seem like the logical and simple reason you could be experiencing these problems, or may be one of two problems. I don't even know if this trans has one, but the torque converter lock-up solenoid could be the cause of the stalling (as I have seen in other cars) and the range selector that Trevor is talking about could be the other issue. I hope that your trans isn't shot for your wallets sake.

midwestsvx 12-16-2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 515582)
Side note: Your car's silver? Weren't all the 93 AE's red?

[/hijack]

The car is red. The "silver anniversary" refers to 25th year anniversary.

midwestsvx 12-16-2007 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 515623)
I would have to say that Trevor's suggestion does seem like the logical and simple reason you could be experiencing these problems, or may be one of two problems. I don't even know if this trans has one, but the torque converter lock-up solenoid could be the cause of the stalling (as I have seen in other cars) and the range selector that Trevor is talking about could be the other issue. I hope that your trans isn't shot for your wallets sake.

Does anyone know if the car has a torque converter lock-up solenoid? I will definately adress the shift linkage. It may be a week or so before I get it up in the air. A car lift is available to me on saturdays, and currently we're getting hammered with SNOW! I think I'll take the WRX out for a sunday drive.
Thank you all, for your input, and I will continue my research.
Chip

midwestsvx 12-19-2007 12:09 PM

Torque converter lock-up solenoid?

Can anyone tell me if the 4EAT has a lock-up solenoid for the torque converter. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chip

jeffast 12-19-2007 12:23 PM

the 4eat has a lockup solinoid, i believe it's number three.
but i don't think that wopuld cause stalling as it only locks up in third