The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leaky IRIS control diaphragm* (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29337)

joeaxial 11-01-2005 05:11 PM

Leaky IRIS control diaphragm*

I had finally got all the hoses and other stuff together to start putting the intake back on my SVX and just for giggles I hooked a hand vacuum pump up to the IRIS control diaphragm. Of course the damn thing leaks :( If you keep slowly pumping the hand pump, the valve will stay open..... but I guess this valve is supposed to open under low vacuum situations too, such as full throttle above 4000 rpm. I got ahold of Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com and he said there were none available in these United States, plus the price was outrageous.

What should I do? The car seemed to run pretty strong before I decided it needed all it's vacuum hoses replaced.

Steve

oab_au 11-02-2005 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeaxial
I had finally got all the hoses and other stuff together to start putting the intake back on my SVX and just for giggles I hooked a hand vacuum pump up to the IRIS control diaphragm. Of course the damn thing leaks :( If you keep slowly pumping the hand pump, the valve will stay open..... but I guess this valve is supposed to open under low vacuum situations too, such as full throttle above 4000 rpm. I got ahold of Jason at 1stsubaruparts.com and he said there were none available in these United States, plus the price was outrageous.

What should I do? The car seemed to run pretty strong before I decided it needed all it's vacuum hoses replaced.

Steve

Steve It may suppose to be like that. If it is a slow leak, it may be there to allow the vacuum to bleed off when the solenoid, turns the valve off.
Maybe someone with a spare could "suck it and see" if they are all like that. The EGR has that sort of leak.

Harvey. ;)

joeaxial 11-02-2005 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Steve It may suppose to be like that. If it is a slow leak, it may be there to allow the vacuum to bleed off when the solenoid, turns the valve off.
Maybe someone with a spare could "suck it and see" if they are all like that. The EGR has that sort of leak.

Harvey. ;)

Harvey, I was thinking that way too, but the solenoid valve that operates the IRIS diaphragm diverts to atmosphere when power is removed from the circuit so the IRIS valve is able to close.
Steve

mbtoloczko 11-02-2005 09:00 AM

Is there any way you can find the source of the leak? When I'm patching my bicycle tubes, I find the hard to spot leaks by putting the inflated tube under water.

joeaxial 11-02-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Is there any way you can find the source of the leak? When I'm patching my bicycle tubes, I find the hard to spot leaks by putting the inflated tube under water.

The can around the diaphragm is crimped together so I'm not sure if I could take it apart without damaging it. I'm going to see if I can find a similar size and shape diaphragm unit at a parts store and maybe try to adapt it to fit.
Steve