The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is my tranny ded? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24025)

TCamusJr 01-23-2005 09:27 PM

Is my tranny ded?

Yesterday the car seemed to hesitate for a while after initial startup before shifting into third. It would rev higher than usual, and then finally shift. After warming up, it shifted normally.

Today the car wont shift further than 2nd. It just revs, nearly redlining, like it's searching for the gear but never finds it. At 40 mph the car is pushing 5000rpms. I was hoping the problem would fix itself after warming up, but to no avail.

To top it off, my alternator belt broke, killing my power steering and my car, eventually. I assume the broken belt was due to the stress caused by the huge and continuous rpms. I was on route 79 for a good 25 minutes sustaining something like 5000 rpms at 55 mph.

I've never experienced a broken transmission before. Is this what a busted tranny is like? And if so, anyone able to tell me my options monetarily speaking? New transmission is probably more than the car is worth at this point. I'm screwedddddddd.

Thanks.

n00b on demand 01-23-2005 09:48 PM

Sounds like its going......but did you ever check the fluid to see its condition? It should be pink or bright red....somewhere in between :D .

TCamusJr 01-23-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Sounds like its going......but did you ever check the fluid to see its condition? It should be pink or bright red....somewhere in between :D .
There's transmission fluid now?? :D Ha. Yeah I didnt even look at the transmission fluid. I had to get to a buddy's house to watch the Steelers lose.

To further irritate my day, I couldnt get a tow truck to drop it off at the shop today because AAA 'suspended' all house calls. I would have been better off pulling off to the side of the road on 79 and waiting there, apparently. I love paying for a disservice.

n00b on demand 01-23-2005 10:02 PM

I feel for ya man. But yeah there is fluid :D . If its brown then that means the fluid is bad and bad fluid can result in a tranny dying out. The fluid turns brown from heat from the transmission...extremley common problem with the SVX. Alot of people invest in a transmission cooler to prolong the life of the transmission. Good luck to you....im no trany expert but im sure someone will chime in with better info for ya :)

oab_au 01-24-2005 03:22 PM

Yes, looks like it.

You don't have the year model or mileage in your profile, to tell for sure, but it would be the high clutch that was slipping. 25 minuits of slipping would have surely burnt it up.

The colour and smell of the fluid would conferm it, if it has a burnt smell and is dark in colour.

Harvey.;)

Green1995SVX 01-24-2005 03:27 PM

Textbook case of a burnt high-clutch. It's tranny time :)

Mike

Green1995SVX 01-24-2005 03:28 PM

PS- If you want to cut your losses and jump out of your svx, PM me, and I'll make you an offer. :)

TCamusJr 01-25-2005 04:03 AM

Yep. It's definitely a goner. Ahhh I feel as though I've reached a milestone...

TCamusJr 01-25-2005 03:42 PM

So if one were to have his tranmission replaced, is there anything else that comes to mind to have replaced to save on labor costs while they have the car apart?

Earthworm 01-27-2005 02:11 PM

Ummm, exhaust gaskets?