The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Competition Motorsports (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   NEW Engine Idea For the SVX! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47918)

newsvx 12-19-2008 07:08 PM

NEW Engine Idea For the SVX!

Perhaps it is time to junk the old 3.3 gas engine?

Check it out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYrsEOxqYc

Something to think about!!:D
Harry

SVXyGirl 12-19-2008 08:17 PM

Re: NEW Engine Idea For the SVX!

That is pretty neat. :)

SuberNatural 12-19-2008 08:24 PM

Neat, but i don't think that would be cost effective lol

SSSVX 12-19-2008 09:03 PM

we have plenty of space in the engine bay. :cool:

Mensaf 12-19-2008 09:56 PM

LS2 on the STI 6spd with a custom bellhousing. That would be a sick combo.

NapaBavarian 12-19-2008 10:15 PM

Yes please, send dollars...

jjcobra 08-05-2009 05:16 PM

Notice how they only mention that it takes 20 minutes to charge after driving a 1/4 mile. Wonder how long that would be for a full charge?

The Tesla requires 16 hours for a full charge. If you're riding fast, you drain the batteries in about 50 miles. If you drive slow you might get 200. But where3 ever you are I hope that you have a nice bed to sleep in.

Top Gear and the Tesla.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x73Z6ndtjE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rant

Also why don't these knuckleheads (news casters and politicians) realize that electricity doesn't magically flow from your wall socket. It comes from coal power plants (or nuclear in some lucky areas). That leads me to believe that owners of electric cars pollute more than me and my fossil fuels.

/rant

EDIT: Nothing better than posting to something that first appeared last year.

ScottyB 08-05-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcobra (Post 612577)

Also why don't these knuckleheads (news casters and politicians) realize that electricity doesn't magically flow from your wall socket. It comes from coal power plants (or nuclear in some lucky areas). That leads me to believe that owners of electric cars pollute more than me and my fossil fuels.

/rant

EDIT: Nothing better than posting to something that first appeared last year.

Well, there are alternative energies such as wind, solar, hydro-electric, etc... So if eventually all our energy comes from a renewable source, there would be no emissions. As I see it, this is a good start. You can't change our countries entire energy system overnight

subiemech85 08-05-2009 11:16 PM

saw a tesla on the way out of chicago-land

too bad the tesla transmission system wasn't perfected :frown:

WIND is where the $$ is :D

BoxerFanatic 08-05-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subiemech85 (Post 612644)
saw a tesla on the way out of chicago-land

too bad the tesla transmission system wasn't perfected :frown:

WIND is where the $$ is :D

Yeah, lots of independent generators hundreds of feet in the air, a fair number of them in tornado alley... Great for maintenance costs, too...

They don't work in no wind... and they don't work in wind greater than 25-30mph gusts, due to too much shearing.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of new turbines in Iowa... and a new manufacturing plant...

A single blade requires a special over-sized truck... I am sure that is cost effective, with hundreds of those turbines spread all over the place... Lots of new power lines and electrical grid infrastructure, too...

I have never been convinced of wind being more than a subsidy-darling, and a hobby-grade technology that has been pushed despite it's drawbacks.

But heaven forbid anyone build nuclear power... we just give that tech to North Korea, (we gave them heavy-water reactors in the 90s, IIRC... now Billy-bob is back over there again this week buying back people from a dictator... and nobody knows the price tag...) And then North Korea and Pakistan give nuclear tech to Iran, so that they can all build bombs.

-----------

but anyway... the problem with electric cars has never been the motor issue... it is an energy storage issue. Batteries just can't compare at this point, to a fuel tank, in terms of ease, safety, and energy density.

Drive 40 miles and charge for 8 hours just isn't practical. And most fast charge tech doesn't say how they get reliable fast charging capability into the batteries (which should only be charged at their nominal discharge rate, not drastically above it, for safety reasons, especially Lithium Ion...)

And they don't mention that fast charging requires more electrical current than most homes currently have available, both voltage and amperage. You don't get a huge, fast charge from 120VAC @ 15 amps from your kitchen electrical outlets, or whatever... Even 240 usually is only 30-50 amps, in a household setting, with 100-200 amps TOTAL available service for the whole panel that serves a typical residential home.

LarryIII 08-06-2009 06:07 AM

Harry,

Thanks, I really enjoyed that video. Now, if I can get my hands on that special lithium ion battery pack and hook it up to my electric drill, I could dill two x fours with 1/4" holes in 0.00003 seconds.:lol:

Of more interest to me for the SVX is the new Subaru Lineartronic CVT transmission. This tranny may be more reliable for the SVX and weigh less.

lhopp77 08-08-2009 04:12 PM

Is anyone afraid to say Nuclear? Nuclear? Nuclear :)

Lee

Gamesy 08-08-2009 09:41 PM

lol nuclear would be cool but i'd be afraid of a meltdown.
if i had to i'd get the new 3.6 :D

LarryIII 08-10-2009 01:01 PM

Harry,

Forget about electric drive. As an oldtimer like me, you know that nothing is better than STEAM POWER!! :lol::D:p

PS: Forget nuclear kids....external combustion engines are the way to go. Bring back the Doble.

newsvx 08-10-2009 01:36 PM

Steam is great, Larry - except for the increased risk of being burned!! :lol:

Actually, I think the Hybird auto (recharge your own battery)will be the technology of the future for autos. It has been mentioned before, but if you have an ALL ELECTRIC auto (with Battery), the thing STILL needs to be charged somewhere, and when it is charged, a power plant (likely burning coal) somewhere will supply the power. That power plant will probably polute more than the cars it would take off the road, and BTW, our electrical grid system is already overtaxed to the breaking point in some places now. People forget that this is a "pay me now or pay me later" situation - energy is not free, any way one looks at it!

Harry