The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What does your interior smell like? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49035)

Freeman 02-07-2009 09:18 PM

What does your interior smell like?

I've been wondering what other cars smell like when you first open the door.. A few people complain about the smell of the interior of my car and say it smells like oil or gas or even transmission fluid.. I also get "It smells like rubber" a lot.. My guess is the leather. It's particularly strong in the summer months.

On to the point. My car "smells" but I like it.. What does your car smell like?

AyeJaye 02-07-2009 09:21 PM

Re: What does your interior smell like?

Wow... that's a really personal question :lol:

;)

Honestly... Smoke. Though when I first get in in the morning, I can still detect that freshly conditioned leather smell. At least it doesn't sound like rotting fast food stuffed under the seats. I've been vigilant about my son not eating in the car :lol:

Mensaf 02-07-2009 09:32 PM

Honestly, it smells terrible to me if I don't have an air freshener in it, but every time someone comes in they say it smells good in there :idk: Weird.

Crazy_pilot 02-07-2009 10:01 PM

According to my mom, like old car. You can tell the previous owner was a smoker if you turn on the recirculate function on the HVAC.

NikFu S. 02-07-2009 10:14 PM

I don't think mine smells like anything, but my drier vent does currently evac into the garage as opposed to outside (gonna fix that one day), so sometimes the outside smells like lint and then that smell can creep in. :/

bheinen74 02-07-2009 10:33 PM

my svx smells nice, but i have not had it for a summer and hot month. Hope the leather doesnt smell bad then.

Anyhow, my legacy turbo wagon, i hauled a used transmission in it once, and it tipped over in the back and all the tranny fluid leaked out and down into the side. It stunk. It took about 4 years for that to dissipate, in the winter the smell wasnt noticable. In the summer, it stinks. Well, about the time the ATF smell lessened, i had a battery tip over back there, and the acid reacted with whatever was left of the ATF, along with eating the carpet etc. So now it has a funky smell again. :barf:

Freeman 02-07-2009 10:43 PM

I expected air freshener responses but this is good too... lol

Mike621 02-07-2009 10:53 PM

Like rainbows and butterflies...;)

My Claret has the trademark new car smell.

Patrick smells like old SVX/ and Abercrombie :rolleyes: :lol:

The 93 smells like fail :o aka this thread...

I believe that if you need an air freshener, you're doing it wrong.

Green1995SVX 02-07-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 586419)
Patrick smells like old SVX/ and Abercrombie :rolleyes: :lol:

How could that have happened? :p

Mine smells like mesquite. Anybody up for ribs?

Freeman 02-07-2009 11:02 PM

Believe it or not, I was actually going somewhere with this...

From time to time, when I turn on my heater or A/C, it seems like I can smell the outside of my car.. Like the exhaust or something I smushed on the road... Is it my imagination or super-human sense of smell? Or is this a common problem?

bheinen74 02-07-2009 11:16 PM

my BRAT still smells of roasted clutch......

AyeJaye 02-07-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bheinen74 (Post 586415)
my svx smells nice, but i have not had it for a summer and hot month. Hope the leather doesnt smell bad then.

Anyhow, my legacy turbo wagon, i hauled a used transmission in it once, and it tipped over in the back and all the tranny fluid leaked out and down into the side. It stunk. It took about 4 years for that to dissipate, in the winter the smell wasnt noticable. In the summer, it stinks. Well, about the time the ATF smell lessened, i had a battery tip over back there, and the acid reacted with whatever was left of the ATF, along with eating the carpet etc. So now it has a funky smell again. :barf:

I spilled some 90w gear oil in the back of my old GL wagon once. That car STILL smelled like crap when my brother wrecked it 5 years after.

subbieatnz 02-07-2009 11:42 PM

I dont think my car smells of anything.

TomsSVX 02-08-2009 12:02 AM

Gear oil, engine oil, ATF, axle grease, assembly lube, exhaust fumes.... More so when I am in it...

That smell is you are dealing with is the fail indicator telling you you level of failure is at an epic high:p

Tom

Black88GTA 02-08-2009 12:55 AM

I trucked over a full-size, very dead deer carcass at ~80mph once in my Trans Am. It was a nasty mess, got deer bits in the brake calipers that I had to pick out with a pliers, skin / gibbed deer all over the undercarriage (including the exhaust), even had hair in the rims. I hosed it off immediately afterwards, but couldn't get all of it.

Every time I fired my car up for probably the next year plus, I had the smell of roasting, rotted meat coming in from the mess still stuck to the exhaust. :barf:

The Prelude smells like burning oil every time the HVAC is on, because there's a slow underhood leak that allows oil to drip onto the exhaust that I haven't fixed yet. When HVAC is not on, it has a slight mildew smell due to the windshield leak.

The BMW doesn't really smell like anything. I think that's a good thing.