The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Urgent! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=978)

Seraph 07-24-2001 09:21 AM

Urgent!

I went downstairs today and I tried to start up the car today. The
battary comes on but the car does not start. I can't even pull it out of park. I am really concerned and pissed. Can someone help?
I checked all the fuses already.

Thanks Lwin

lightning_8669 07-25-2001 12:42 PM

As you posted your question yesterday you perhaps already have a answer/solution. The symptoms sound like either a dead battery or a contaminated connection, or two. There is a relay and solenoid to release the shifter from the park position. Both require a good bit of power (compared to a light bulb for instance) to operate. Lights and radios will usually work with a very discharged battery but not things like wipers, power windows, etc.. There should be a release button near your shift lever to allow for moving it out of park when the battery is dead. Mine has one at least.

My suggestion would be to recharge/replace the battery.

Good luck,
JP

Seraph 07-25-2001 03:33 PM

<<lightning_8669
Here comes the rain!>>

When it rains, it pours -- RIGHT? :D

Lwin

lightning_8669 07-26-2001 06:10 AM

When it rains, it pours -- RIGHT?

Yea and verily! But at least my lawn is looking slightly less flamable:D I actually might have to mow it someday.

Chris 07-26-2001 01:34 PM

try this

Mine does this all the time. It has a bit of slack in the shifter and the neutral saftey switch will not allow the car to turn over. I either have to push the shifter fowards while trying to start the car, or use the shift lock to put the car in neutral and start it from that position.
Just my $0.02

Chris
(SVX Admin)

SVX JAZZ 08-01-2001 02:27 PM

Re: try this

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris
Mine does this all the time. It has a bit of slack in the shifter and the neutral saftey switch will not allow the car to turn over. I either have to push the shifter fowards while trying to start the car, or use the shift lock to put the car in neutral and start it from that position.
Just my $0.02

Chris
(SVX Admin)

Mine does this also every once in a while. Freaked my wife out when it firdt did it.

kvnobrien 08-10-2001 09:09 AM

Quote:

Mine does this also every once in a while. Freaked my wife out when it firdt did it.
This happened to my girl friend at the time too, when she borrowed my car. I had already seen the problem once before. She tried to start the car and when nothing happened, she made all of her friends get out of the car and get back in to try it agian. (Ahhh... a SVX full of 20 year old girls :cool: )

svx_commuter 08-24-2001 06:42 PM

Mine does this too. I call it a anti theft device. Just push the gear shift forward a little and the car can start.