The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Waste of a SVX, Need Help. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45665)

Mensaf 07-29-2008 08:29 PM

Waste of a SVX, Need Help.

Well, this is just sad. I saw an SVX on a flatbed in front of a junkyard today. I pulled over and asked what was wrong with it, thinking that the guy was a fellow SVX owner or something. Turns out that the car was stolen some time ago, and there was no title, so they were planning on crushing it. It's an immaculate '92 SVX. Pearl white with a black top/trunk. I gave them $300 today (even though I really can't spare it at the moment) to hold it and not crush it until we could figure out if they could somehow legally sell me the car for whatever they were going to take it apart for.

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here? I'm going to stop by the police station tomorrow at my lunch break to see what's what.

teal one 07-29-2008 10:04 PM

Re: Waste of a SVX, Need Help.

Good save!!
In some states you can go to your insurance company and apply for a "bonded" title. They check for any liens against the vehicle and if anyone rightfully claims the vehicle. I have had one that had a lien through a finance company that I couldn't get a title for, but many others with no problem.
Another route would be to run a Carfax-it should say the prior owner and if an insurance company had paid the owner. You then might be able to contact the former owner. Make sure to get reciepts for any payment made towards purchasing the car. And.... Don't spend a whole lot of money fixing it up untill you have a title. You don't want to do a bunch of work only to find out you can't get a title.
You have to be patient-it may take a while, but hopefully all works out for you!!

Mensaf 07-29-2008 10:54 PM

I don't need to fix it up. It's in better condition than the one I drive, lol. Thanks, I'll be trying this all out tomorrow.

SilverSpear 07-30-2008 12:29 AM

Glad to hear you saved her... Good luck making it legit :)

Mike621 07-30-2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar (Post 558216)
I don't need to fix it up. It's in better condition than the one I drive, lol. Thanks, I'll be trying this all out tomorrow.

Were you in Jersey City yesterday? My bf saw an ebony 92 and I was wondering if it was you.

Mensaf 07-30-2008 06:12 AM

I go to Jersey City a lot, but I wasn't there yesterday. I'm usually all over 21 and the Parkway.

benebob 07-30-2008 07:47 AM

Do a lien search but honestly you're not likely to get a title for it. My guess is it sat at a auto auction for years awaiting a lien issue. Its quite common actually. There's a 40k 92 sitting at Manheim right now. Right where its been for 13 years!

SubaruSVXCrazy 07-30-2008 03:42 PM

Good job. Happy to hear ya saved one. I hate to hear 'em being crushed. Is there anything in the glove box that has information to the last owner. Maby hes got the title? There has to be some way around that. Best of luck, Keep us updated.

immortal_suby 07-30-2008 07:06 PM

I'd swap tags and run it.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...y/gen-anim.gif

subeman90 07-30-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 558344)

was thinking the same thing.... ;)

TomsSVX 07-30-2008 07:24 PM

i've got vin tags to do it!!

Tom

zukiru 07-30-2008 08:06 PM

that's the ticket.. it's what i'd do..

SubaruSVXCrazy 07-30-2008 08:28 PM

Shhhh don't type to loud, but compare the mileage before you think about it. First I would try to do it the right way first.

zukiru 07-30-2008 08:44 PM

I'm Not Typing Too Loud.

subeman90 07-31-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy (Post 558369)
Shhhh don't type to loud, but compare the mileage before you think about it. First I would try to do it the right way first.

you worry too much...it is called a clerical error ;):D