The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can't get it to start (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39342)

low$svx 06-12-2007 07:51 PM

Can't get it to start

I just picked up this 92 svx and it supposedly ran when the guy parked it, blah, blah,blah, but the price was right. Anyways it turns over fine, gets spark, and you can smell fuel in the exhaust. The timing marks on both cams are lined up but I am unaware of the crank, due to the fact that I can't see it. Does anyone have any ideas? I am getting ready to sell it but figured try asking as my one last effort. I am good with cars but don't know to much about how the svx works, cause there is so much experimental I guess you could say stuff on it. Thanks for your help in advance.

huck369 06-12-2007 08:07 PM

Well, if it has spark, and fuel, and air, and is in time, it should run....
Does it have compression?
How old is the fuel in it?
Make sure you have a good battery in it.

low$svx 06-12-2007 08:16 PM

1.Compression seems to be fine.
2. Fuel is not very old at all.
3. Brand new battery and cables.

I figured if it has all that it should run too. Is there anyway to check the afm or maf, whichever one it has, to see if it is bad?

I am just dumbfounded. That is really the only thing other that the computer that I think it could be. I just don't know

Thanks

Hocrest 06-12-2007 08:31 PM

Is the Check Engine Light on? If it's a 92-95 you can check the codes yourself following the procedures in the "how-to" at the top of the page.

low$svx 06-12-2007 11:47 PM

I think it is on but doesn't it have to be running in order to pull a code?

huck369 06-13-2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low$svx
I think it is on but doesn't it have to be running in order to pull a code?

Not to pull stored codes...

SVXRide 06-13-2007 05:12 AM

cam sensor, crank sensor, water temp sensor...the car won't start if any of these are bad....
-Bill

low$svx 06-13-2007 07:21 AM

Will the codes still be there if the battery went dead?
I replaced the cam sensor, and the top crank sensor tested out to be fine. Is there a crank sensor underneath the car? The chiltons said it had 2 crank sensors and 1 cam sensor. Is that true? I am getting spark so would all those sensors be fine?

huck369 06-13-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Will the codes still be there if the battery went dead?
I replaced the cam sensor, and the top crank sensor tested out to be fine. Is there a crank sensor underneath the car? The chiltons said it had 2 crank sensors and 1 cam sensor. Is that true? I am getting spark so would all those sensors be fine?

Both Crank sensors are right next to each other, under the alternator

low$svx 06-13-2007 09:05 PM

Does anyone now if the sensors talked about above would keep it from sparking or keep it from doing something else? I am getting spark so are all of these sensors good? Even though I am getting spark could they be causing a problem somewhere else?

cdvs 06-13-2007 09:42 PM

If you have spark, it's very likely a fuel problem. Try some starting fliud.

Good luck.

huck369 06-14-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Does anyone now if the sensors talked about above would keep it from sparking or keep it from doing something else? I am getting spark so are all of these sensors good? Even though I am getting spark could they be causing a problem somewhere else?

As He said /\, if you have spark, it must not be ignition related, so those sensors should be fine...maybe the fuel pump is shot...

low$svx 06-14-2007 07:23 AM

just wanted to let you guys know that I did fire a few times on the starting fluid. So if any one has info on the location of the fuel pump, please let me know. I have to go to work but after I get home I should be able to check the fuel system.

Thanks

huck369 06-14-2007 08:07 AM

The Fuel pump is in the tank, but can be accessed from either the trunk floor, or under the back seat....I don't remember which on the SVX

Hocrest 06-14-2007 08:50 AM

Before you tear into the tank, check for fuel at the fuel filter under the hood, next to the drivers side strut tower.