The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Losing Brake fluid (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61819)

huck369 06-18-2013 05:25 AM

Losing Brake fluid

I've been losing brake fluid on one of my SVX's, but can find no leaks anyone else have this issue, and find the culprit?
I've replaced the master cylinder, and searched for signs of leaks, but have found none...

Hocrest 06-18-2013 06:19 AM

Re: Losing Brake fluid

How fast do you lose it? Can you park the car, pump the brakes and empty the reservoir?

If it's not around one of the wheels, my next guess would be the lines around the fuel tank :(

huck369 06-18-2013 08:12 AM

Sometimes I can drive for days without noticing it, and sometimes it goes pretty quick....never find any wet areas, and this is a southern car, with no rust, I' really don't expect it to be the lines over the tank, but even if it were, it should be leaving a puddle...

oab_au 06-18-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 725265)
Sometimes I can drive for days without noticing it, and sometimes it goes pretty quick....never find any wet areas, and this is a southern car, with no rust, I' really don't expect it to be the lines over the tank, but even if it were, it should be leaving a puddle...

If you can't see any leaks Huck, it may be going through the booster vacuum hose to the manifold.

Harvey.

svxfiles 06-18-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 725288)
If you can't see any leaks Huck, it may be going through the booster vacuum hose to the manifold.

Harvey.

Thats what I was thinking, but he replaced his master cylinder.:confused:

B 4 You 06-18-2013 09:19 PM

Look under your car right where the lines go under the rear passenger seat to the underneath of the vehicle. There's a little "intersection" that the lines go through before going over the fuel tank. Mine was leaking but no fluid would show up anywhere, and that's where it was coming from.

huck369 06-19-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 725295)
Look under your car right where the lines go under the rear passenger seat to the underneath of the vehicle. There's a little "intersection" that the lines go through before going over the fuel tank. Mine was leaking but no fluid would show up anywhere, and that's where it was coming from.

I'll look there again, but had it up on the rack Monday night, and didn't notice leaks anywhere....

And Harvey, that should be ruled out, since I've replaced the Master cylinder....but I did pull off the vacuum line to double check, and it is dry inside..

dannmarr 06-19-2013 05:44 AM

I would try putting cardboard under each tire while it is parked and pump the brakes. I had a small leak in the rear and it would never leave a wet spot on the ground except until I used a cardboard. Try it.

huck369 07-03-2013 05:09 AM

It ended up being the left front rubber line to the caliper...wouldn't leak all the time, but would under the right conditions....Got a new one on the way...