The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buying a 1992 SVX, need advice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7468)

CDG 12-09-2002 09:00 PM

Buying a 1992 SVX, need advice

:confused: I was out car shopping and came across an SVX(92), always liked but never though I could afford one, well they are asking $10,500CAN, thats like $75US, or something close to that.
The car has either been T-boned on the door or wrapped around a pole, but was repaired reasonably well. It has 170,000 kilometers, and I even have the VIN:JF1CX3536NH109607.
I've read a lot of info that warns me about bearings, and trany, But I'm just curious if $10.5kCAN/$7kUS is an ok price, or am I getting Hosed?:D

Mr. Pockets 12-09-2002 09:03 PM

Re: Buying a 1992 SVX, need advice

Quote:

Originally posted by CDG
:confused: I was out car shopping and came across an SVX(92), always liked but never though I could afford one, well they are asking $10,500CAN, thats like $75US, or something close to that.
The car has either been T-boned on the door or wrapped around a pole, but was repaired reasonably well. It has 170,000 kilometers, and I even have the VIN:JF1CX3536NH109607.
I've read a lot of info that warns me about bearings, and trany, But I'm just curious if $10.5kCAN/$7kUS is an ok price, or am I getting Hosed?:D

I don't know much about the used car market in Canada, but my first reaction is 'hosed.'

Do you guys have such a thing as a 'salvage title' in Canada? Because that would no longer be a 'clean title' car in the US. And no '92 SVX with 106k miles on it would sell for $7k in the US - even with a clean title.

I paid $7k for my very clean and very well taken-care-of '93 three years ago. And it had 10k fewer miles.

Anyway, if you find a good one, or if they chop that price in half and it drives well, then good luck. It's a great car. So great that I stopped driving mine and just look at it. :(

CDG 12-09-2002 10:22 PM

Thanks Mr Pockets, Good to hear.
I have done a search locally for other SVX's and found 2 more, one for 12,950, and another for 8,890, all 1992's.
this particular model has all the options, but the actual damage still needs to be reviewed.
I will be looking at the vehicle again, and will work on getting the price down, aswell as looking at the other 2:)

AbdominalSnoman 12-09-2002 11:05 PM

Since you're not scared by a salvage title, this may be worth looking into if the price stays low over the next 7 days. (can you say road trip?)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=7465

ensteele 12-10-2002 12:09 AM

Welcome to the site CDG. I am just south of Bellingham in Burlington, and was talking to a guy who has a 94 For Sale up there. Let me know if you are interested in it, and I can get you his email address. He was asking too much for what I wanted to pay ($10,500 USD), but it looked good in the pictures he sent to me. Looks like he is pretty proud of it. Take your time and shop around to get a good one at a fair price. There are more around and if you need help locating one around here, let me know and I will try to help you. If there is something around here, I can look at it for you and let you know what I think. But you know what they say about opinions. :D Good Luck

CDG 12-10-2002 12:11 AM

Well now, thats my kind of deal, but with 7 days to go, its a little early. And its my favourite colour(note the spelling, as I am a canuck).
I will check back in 7days,14hours, thats T-1 hour.

Thx for the pointer.:D

smerrithew 12-10-2002 10:28 AM

That's about the norm for an SVX in Canada, but personally, I think it's too high.
There are plenty for sale in the US between $3000 and $5000.
With the exchange, that's about $4600 to $7800CDN.
I live near Toronto, and just bought a 92 Pearlie from another member of this site in Cleveland. We're both happy with the price of $3000US and after jumping through a few hoops to import it into Canada, it still only cost about $5400CDN.
That is probably on the low side, but it's a far cry from $10k+.
By the way, try to find a 92 with the VIN X35; that's the Touring Package; nice!!
Apparently Canadian versions also included heated seats, but that doesn't justify the extra$$ in my book.
If you choose to import from the US, I can advise you on the simplest way to do it.
Good luck.
Scott.

CDG 12-10-2002 10:50 AM

Thanks Scott.
My father lives in Toronto, and a very good friend(Ex-mechanic) also does, so if you know of any good deals in Southern Ontario, I'd love to hear about them.
The vehicle I looked at is the X35 range, with all the options.
I think I could probably get them down to as low as $8kCAN cash.
Which would work for me, the car has zero rust, West coast is nice that way. There are 2 more in the Vancouver area that I'm going to look at. And after reading all the info on the car, the one I test drove yesterday seams to be ok with whell bearings and trany, if it has heated seats, where would the switch be?
And I found the headlights to be a little weak?

$VX 12-10-2002 10:59 AM

Canadian version have heated seats?!?!?

ME WANT! Where can I find a wrecked one?!?!?!

- Ca$h

Mr. Pockets 12-10-2002 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CDG
Which would work for me, the car has zero rust, West coast is nice that way.
Any SVX should be rust-free, unless it's been in an accident. The entire body was electroplated with zinc before painting, and you have to compromise that coating to cause it to rust.

My car's original owner, for example, was an elderly gentleman who apparently got into a few fender-benders. I have three tiny, tiny rust bubbles right behind my left rear wheel because, either due to the accident or due to reshaping the fender, the zinc coating was compromised.

Best of luck!

CDG 12-10-2002 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I have just finished looking at all 3 SVX's for sale in Vancouver, and NONE of them have heated seats, sorry.
Vancouver doesn't qualify for the heated seat feature..I guess.

I'm going to start a new thread as I need some advice on car#2
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=7485

smerrithew 12-10-2002 06:47 PM

> Canadian version have heated seats?!?!?

> ME WANT! Where can I find a wrecked one?!?!?!

Actually, I have never seen one with heated seats, but when I first considered buying an SVX in the states, a friend told me that was one extra feature of Canadian models.
I can't confirm that though.
Scott

CDG 12-10-2002 07:14 PM

My friend has a BMW M3, and he took me to see SVX#2 today, he has heated seats, and it was a virgin experience for me, It was very nice.
But I'm sad to say that none of the 3 here have them.
Can anyone confirm the existance of the heated Seat option?

CDG 12-10-2002 08:28 PM

My friend has a BMW M3, and he took me to see SVX#2 today, he has heated seats, and it was a virgin experience for me, It was very nice.

CigarJohnny 12-11-2002 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by CDG

A quote from subarusvx.org:

"European/Australian SVX

A variety of European and Australian SVX models were available throughout the production span. Some models included features like Rear Fog Lights, Auto leveling headlights, and heated seats."

I think that answers it for you. Gonna be kinda tough to land one of those seats here in North America :rolleyes: