The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission..i think :p (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42529)

Rycros 12-28-2007 01:54 PM

Transmission..i think :p

So i was driving my svx, not fast or anything. just driving

and i had just gotten off of the exit ramp when i started hearing this faint clunking noise.
at first it was really quiet and i hardly noticed it, but after going about 200 yards or so, it was clunking so bad it was shaking the whole car.

now it did it ever set distance, regardless of how fast i was going, so im guessing everytime something rotated.

unfortunately, i know very little about cars. my dad kinda looked at it and he said it was something in the transmission, maybe a gear tooth had chipped or something, or something in the front axle? idk..

also, after i got it to my house, i put it up on jackstands, and at some points when its accelerating, it just revs and the tires dont spin. just makes a grinding type noise.

any help would be greatly appriciated
ty!

Cody

crazyhorse 12-28-2007 02:20 PM

It sounds like your front differential just went south on you.

svxistentialist 12-28-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rycros (Post 518020)
So i was driving my svx, not fast or anything. just driving

and i had just gotten off of the exit ramp when i started hearing this faint clunking noise.
at first it was really quiet and i hardly noticed it, but after going about 200 yards or so, it was clunking so bad it was shaking the whole car.

now it did it ever set distance, regardless of how fast i was going, so im guessing everytime something rotated.

unfortunately, i know very little about cars. my dad kinda looked at it and he said it was something in the transmission, maybe a gear tooth had chipped or something, or something in the front axle? idk..

also, after i got it to my house, i put it up on jackstands, and at some points when its accelerating, it just revs and the tires dont spin. just makes a grinding type noise.

any help would be greatly appriciated
ty!

Cody

Hi Cody

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Is your car AWD or FWD?

A strong possibility is the flex plate. It sits between the transmission and the differential, and is about the equivalent of the flywheel in a manual car. It transfers the power to the drive section.

It tends to crack where the bolts are, then makes noise. It is easy and not too expensive to replace. Run a search on "flex plate" and you will find the repair instructions.

[It could also be one of the universal joints to the back axle, but I'm guessing flex plate. If you have the car up on a ramp, visually inspect the universal joints to see they are not broken]

Best of luck

Joe

nextse7en 12-28-2007 02:29 PM

If the car only revs when the wheels are in a certain position up on jack stands, I'm definitely leaning towards front differential. Or a snapped CV joint. But more likely, the diff, it's weak, and it tends to strip. The easiest way to tell it to drain the differential fluid, if metal shavings a teeth come out, you'll know for sure. :)

Start saving your pennies, diffs are not that expensive to get used (about 200 is what I see em go for on the high side) but it will require the removal of the transmission and front axles at the bare minimum.

On a better note, now would be a GREAT time to go 4.44, just find a pair of matching diffs.

-Patrick

svxfiles 12-28-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rycros (Post 518020)
, i put it up on jackstands, and at some points when its accelerating, it just revs and the tires dont spin. just makes a grinding type noise.

Ok, Cody
with the engine off and the car on jackstands, and the car in park, have
someone hold one side tire still.
Now try to turn the other tire.
Please be careful because I watched someone cut his finger off by accident doing this.:rolleyes:(My Father)
The tires should not be able to turn without the other side tire spinning in the opposite direction.
If they "fight" each other, then try it again at several different "O-Clocks" .
Meaning you are trying to find broken teeth on the ring gear or pinion gear.
If you find a place/O-clock that allows one side to spin, or turn, THEN look under the car to see if one or both axles are turning.
Then report back to us with findings.
Tom

Rycros 12-28-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Is your car AWD or FWD?
AWD, it is a subaru after all :P

thank you all for the responses :]

i will do as you recommended svxfiles, and report back as soon as i can
the car is parked at my dad's warehouse, so i should be able to report back soon.

Quote:

The easiest way to tell it to drain the differential fluid, if metal shavings a teeth come out, you'll know for sure.
i will also empty that, and tell you what i find

thank you again :]

Cho 12-28-2007 11:14 PM

Subaru did make Front Wheel Drives in the 90's and that applies to the svx as well.:)

svxistentialist 12-29-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cho (Post 518127)
Subaru did make Front Wheel Drives in the 90's and that applies to the svx as well.:)

:) It was a trick question Cho. I just slipped it in there to see how much he knew.;)

Is yours FWD? I think the FWDs have to be faster off the mark, faster in top speed and better on economy because they are lighter but have the same power. They don't have the AWD transmission power loss to soak up fuel. They ought to be about 2 mpg better.

Joe:)

Rycros 12-29-2007 01:05 PM

ah, i wasnt aware they made it fwd :P

im fairly sure its awd though.
i can double check, but im almost positive

Wikedjuggalo 12-29-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 518147)
:) It was a trick question Cho. I just slipped it in there to see how much he knew.;)

Is yours FWD? I think the FWDs have to be faster off the mark, faster in top speed and better on economy because they are lighter but have the same power. They don't have the AWD transmission power loss to soak up fuel. They ought to be about 2 mpg better.

Joe:)

Gas Milegae is not YOU LIE~~~~~~!

nextse7en 12-29-2007 06:25 PM

FWD is slower off the line, though you may possibly have something like a 2 or 3 mph in top end.

Off the line is slower due to wheelspin, all things being equal.

Also, the 92 and 93 SVX had a slightly different shift map, which made them faster off the line than later cars. Since all 92 and 93 cars were all wheel drive, those awds were indeed teh fastar than later FWDs.

Oh, and a 4.44 AWD with eat any stock svx off the line. Wheel spin would become a significant factor with a 4.44 FWD. So the same applies.

The only way I could see a FWD SVX run faster than an AWD svx would be with some really wide, really sticky tires up front. And the track was warm, and dry.

And forgive my incoherent mumbling, running on hour 48 with no sleep.