The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The big question: To store, or not to store. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40168)

Kelvin 08-08-2007 02:54 AM

The big question: To store, or not to store.

Alright, I can't sleep, and this is part of the problem.

Background: My SVX has been in heated, indoor storage since August of 2005. I didn't need a car, and it would just get beat up if I left it out. Anyway, when I put it in storage, the flexplate was rattling pretty bad, and it has some pretty minor body damage. Other than that it's in great shape.

Recently, the place I've stored it at is changing owners, so I can't keep it there anymore. I have to move it. So, now I have a dilemma... should I keep it out? I currently have a 92 Accord automatic that I 'inherited', but I really hate that car. It just drives like ass, and the previous owners did not take proper care of it, so it's pretty severely rusted, and has a lot of minor issues.

Seeing as how I'll be in school for the next 2 years, I'm torn between selling the accord, and using it on my SVX, and keeping the SVX out, or, shoving my SVX back into storage, and beating on the accord.

Now, there are a lot of pros and cons to each decision:

Keep SVX out: Pros: I love it. I get to drive it. When I fix something I don't mind because i'm putting money and effort into a car I enjoy.
Cons: It will get beat up. The roads around here are crap, and I am sure they will wear out my suspension, which is pretty new. It will probably also suffer from parking incidents, as nobody ever bothers to learn how to paralell park anymore without ramming the surrounding cars. Also, upkeep on the SVX has never been stellar... it's reliable, but parts are more expensive, you guys know what I'm talking about.

Store SVX: Pros: SVX stays safe. I have a cheap beater car that get good MPG, and has cheap parts. I don't have to worry about parking.
Cons: I drive a car I hate for 2 more years of my life. What is the point in owning a nice car if you don't drive it? Storage fees are a waste.

What do you guys think?

msvx95 08-08-2007 05:23 AM

You said it yourself in numerous posts that you hate to see someone beat the sh%t out of these cars. Now why would you do the same? I say store it for the two years in college.. OR.... park it in places other than on the street...find nice areas...do a little research where you can park to minimize door dings etc...less traffic parking areas.

Landshark 08-08-2007 05:25 AM

you should part it out.

what?!?!? i'm jus' keeding!

http://www.saturday-night-live.com/i..._betteroff.gif

msvx95 08-08-2007 05:36 AM

haha....I was waiting for the first person o'the day to mention that.....:D

I am in need of a master window switch in my car that I posted on the wanted section, but I didn't mention that I was going to part out my car if I couldn't find a switch....The car is undriveable....can't get the windows to function, therefore I HAVE to part it out.........ROFLMAO:p

Sorry, back to the topic at hand...........

sicksubie 08-08-2007 06:09 AM

drive it in the summer and store it in the winter.......

It's Just Eric 08-08-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

drive it in the summer and store it in the winter.......
brilliant Required text

Kelvin 08-08-2007 12:37 PM

Only problem is it's an SVX. AWD+ winter= fun. And a bit safer, I think. Plus I still have to pay year round storage that way, as I'd always have a car in storage.

Hop 08-08-2007 01:24 PM

College can be the best time of your life. The SVX is an awesome car but it is just a car after all. I would want the memory of the 'cool' car that I had in college as opposed to the piece of crap that got me around. You're planning on it getting beat up - well, you can plan on fixing it up too. Plan on a decent paint job a year after you get a good paying job.

I kept a truck laying around because 'I might need it one day'. It sat out front for 3 years without ever even getting started. I gave it away when I started noticing dry rot on the tires. It's an 87 toyota extra cab, long bed. The guy that I gave it to is still driving it around and he's had it for about 5 years now.

If it doesn't need to be fixed then you're not driving it enough.

crazyhorse 08-08-2007 01:52 PM

If your SVX is a "time capsule" car, then by all means store it & only use it on sunny sunday afternoons. Otherwise, get it out & drive the SNOT out of it. After all, cars were meant to be DRIVEN. Especially cars like the SVX. You have a cool car, one with proper maintenance COULD last you a lifetime.

Everytime you drive your car, you expose it to the risk of a dummy creaming it in thier monster SUV. Most likely while talking on thier cell phone. Yeah, you'll kick yourself if that happens, but imagine if you let it rot away in storage? Sitting KILLS cars!!

In short, get it out & drive it. You'll be happier for doing so.

ensteele 08-10-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
If your SVX is a "time capsule" car, then by all means store it & only use it on sunny sunday afternoons. Otherwise, get it out & drive the SNOT out of it. After all, cars were meant to be DRIVEN. Especially cars like the SVX. You have a cool car, one with proper maintenance COULD last you a lifetime.

Everytime you drive your car, you expose it to the risk of a dummy creaming it in thier monster SUV. Most likely while talking on thier cell phone. Yeah, you'll kick yourself if that happens, but imagine if you let it rot away in storage? Sitting KILLS cars!!

In short, get it out & drive it. You'll be happier for doing so.

I agree. :)

redsvx 08-10-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin
Seeing as how I'll be in school for the next 2 years, I'm torn between selling the accord, and using it on my SVX, and keeping the SVX out, or, shoving my SVX back into storage, and beating on the accord.

If you are going to beat on anything .... let it be the Honda. :D

You'll be a lot happier when you finish school and have a decent SVX waiting for you.
Something you can be proud to drive .... IMHO ... store it ...it's cheap insurance! IMHO ;)
Besides Save another SVX!!!!

subarufamily 08-11-2007 02:23 AM

beat the accord

beat up the accord its parts can be found anywhere and cheaply. the svx should be stored but started and driven around the block to prevent flat spots on the tires and help to keep seals fresh but in my opinion BEAT up the ACCORD and SAVE A SVX!! storing can hurt cars also so be careful

Trevor 08-11-2007 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin
Only problem is it's an SVX. AWD+ winter= fun. And a bit safer, I think. Plus I still have to pay year round storage that way, as I'd always have a car in storage.

You owe me an email. :confused: :(