The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The "Prince of Darkness"... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25839)

makalii 04-29-2005 02:24 AM

The "Prince of Darkness"...

demanded a sacrifice for the removal of the gremlins affecting the auto seatbelts, clock, audio system and interior lighting. "I require the lights of vanity. Cut the frayed wires to the visor mirrors, my son, and all will be returned to you." Lo and behold, electrical sanity has been restored!!

Thanks, guys, for this tip and all the other great info. Of course, I'll rewire the visors when I can do a proper job. One must be able to powder one's nose 24/7, mustn't one?

b3lha 04-29-2005 03:00 AM

Do you know what it means to "powder one's nose"? I certainly wouldn't do that in my SVX. ;)

Rotorflyr 04-29-2005 03:29 AM

Yeah but it depends on what part of the world your in, if you are male or female, and what kinda ummmm life you live :p

Aredubjay 04-29-2005 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makalii
demanded a sacrifice for the removal of the gremlins affecting the auto seatbelts, clock, audio system and interior lighting. "I require the lights of vanity. Cut the frayed wires to the visor mirrors, my son, and all will be returned to you." Lo and behold, electrical sanity has been restored!!

Thanks, guys, for this tip and all the other great info. Of course, I'll rewire the visors when I can do a proper job. One must be able to powder one's nose 24/7, mustn't one?

Gary,
Glad you figured it out. This is a much overlooked problem when diagnosing electrical gremlins. Those danged mirrors have actually shut some cars down. Now, as for me, since nose glare isn't a problem, I'll simply use Gold Bond for chafing during long drives. :D

ensteele 04-29-2005 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Gary,
Now, as for me, since nose glare isn't a problem, I'll simply use Gold Bond for chafing during long drives. :D

:eek: :eek: :( That leaves a very bad mental picture! :( :o

Aredubjay 04-29-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
:eek: :eek: :( That leaves a very bad mental picture! :( :o

Ah. Then I was successful. :D

Electrophil 04-29-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makalii

One must be able to powder one's nose 24/7, mustn't one?

Now that is just flat out funny! I needed that this morning! :D Thanks!! :D

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 10:53 AM

What the heck is a "chafing"?

RSVX 04-29-2005 11:52 AM

It's similar to chaffing, only... not...

Aredubjay 04-29-2005 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX
It's similar to chaffing, only... not...

Why waste a perfectly good "f." :rolleyes:

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 12:57 PM

Isn't chaff the stuff used by fighter pilots to trick infra red seeker missiles?

You use gold bond for that? :eek: :D

Earthworm 04-29-2005 01:16 PM

Instead of cutting them they can be unclipped :)

NikFu S. 04-29-2005 01:19 PM

Now that I think of it my visor lights have never worked. How do you get in there and mess around with stuff?

Aredubjay 04-29-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Now that I think of it my visor lights have never worked. How do you get in there and mess around with stuff?

Your first step is to pop off the "elbow" at the mounting point on the ceiling. Take a small bladed screwdriver and pry the wires from the channel and examine them. If they're okay, then, you can remove the mirror -- there are screws behind the lens assemblies. First, of course, unscrew the bracket from the ceiling -- slowly lower the stem of the visor and disconnect the connector. Be careful not to break the "snaps" when disassembling the mirror/lights from the visor.

Of course, being of the "assume nothing" crowd, I have to ask: have you checked the bulbs? ;)

ensteele 04-29-2005 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Your first step is to pop off the "elbow" at the mounting point on the ceiling. Take a small bladed screwdriver and pry the wires from the channel and examine them. If they're okay, then, you can remove the mirror -- there are screws behind the lens assemblies. First, of course, unscrew the bracket from the ceiling -- slowly lower the stem of the visor and disconnect the connector. Be careful not to break the "snaps" when disassembling the mirror/lights from the visor.

Of course, being of the "assume nothing" crowd, I have to ask: have you checked the bulbs? ;)

Ha Ha Ha Ha - he said bulbs!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D