The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   engine noise w/ video (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56598)

3.3H6 02-18-2011 07:44 PM

engine noise w/ video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI9wUQHX3gg

posted a video of the engine running, any ideas? i'm afraid to drive it to the dealer 30 miles away

North Ursalia 02-18-2011 09:41 PM

Re: engine noise w/ video

It sounds a lot like two words: "bearing" and "spun"- put them in the order you like, but it sucks either way.

3.3H6 02-18-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Ursalia (Post 669305)
It sounds a lot like two words: "bearing" and "spun"- put them in the order you like, but it sucks either way.

****,****,****, etc.

This won't be cheap if it is. oh this is gonna screw my miserable bank account over.

Cam 02-18-2011 10:36 PM

You can take the oil pan, sump and windage baffle off. This will allow inspection or the rod bearings. You may also check for evidence of a spun main bearing (look very closely at #5). It would most likely be worth it to just get a donor engine.

3.3H6 02-18-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 669310)
You can take the oil pan, sump and windage baffle off. This will allow inspection or the rod bearings. You may also check for evidence of a spun main bearing (look very closely at #5). It would most likely be worth it to just get a donor engine.

yeah, that would be great, if I weren't a poor, jobless college student with little time in the week to be doing an engine swap. T-T

North Ursalia 02-18-2011 10:59 PM

Drain the oil and strain the oil as it comes out through something like a cheesecloth- if the bearings did spin, you'll see the gold residue in the cheesecloth. This will save you pulling the pan off to check at the very least.

You might have gotten really lucky and just blown the bearings in one of the idler pulleys for your timing belt, as it can sound like a spun bearing.

3.3H6 02-18-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Ursalia (Post 669312)
Drain the oil and strain the oil as it comes out through something like a cheesecloth- if the bearings did spin, you'll see the gold residue in the cheesecloth. This will save you pulling the pan off to check at the very least.

You might have gotten really lucky and just blown the bearings in one of the idler pulleys for your timing belt, as it can sound like a spun bearing.

unfortunately all my tools are in the autotech building on campus, which is closed on weekends. I'll just have to drive/push it to norwich, and hope for the best...

immortal_suby 02-19-2011 04:31 AM

cracked flexplate makes for one hell of a racket too.

3.3H6 02-19-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 669322)
cracked flexplate makes for one hell of a racket too.

whatever it is, it's loud, noisy, and very disconcerting. If I need to replace the engine, I really don't know what I'm going to do, so don't be surprised to see a white 92 svx on craigslist for parts or best offer.

:(

Jonnycash 02-19-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.3H6 (Post 669345)
whatever it is, it's loud, noisy, and very disconcerting. If I need to replace the engine, I really don't know what I'm going to do, so don't be surprised to see a white 92 svx on craigslist for parts or best offer.

:(

you can find a decent motor for under $500... swapping it should only take 4 hours tops. Its not all that bad

B 4 You 02-19-2011 08:36 PM

hope you fix her. :[ i'm a college student too, i feel your writing pain. don't sell the car. you'll regret it. :[

Jake@FAPFab 02-19-2011 10:14 PM

$20 on #5 rod bearing.
Do yourself, and us, a favor by tearing that engine out asap to try to save the heads.

bummer.:(

3.3H6 02-19-2011 11:42 PM

I take it to the dealership today, hopefully it makes it there. $500 doesn't sound like a lot of money, but its going to cut into my bank account badly, and I use that money for gas, insurance, fees, and food. not having a job sucks...

4 hours for a swap? maybe someone who's done it before....The only motor's i've pulled were from civics and integras.

Wikedjuggalo 02-19-2011 11:56 PM

Dear god why the dealership?

Cam 02-20-2011 12:25 AM

This engine is cake to pull and install. 4 bolts on the bellhousing, a few lines on each side, airbox, intake, battery, electrical disconnects, radiator and fans, dogbone brace, and BAM. She's out...

If you have a hoist and like, 15 different tools you can swap this engine out with little trouble. The dealer will most likely bring you to about $1000 all said and done IF you can get a decent engine for 500 bucks. At least try to find a reputable shop in the area. It would probably be $60-$80 an hour vs. $100

EDIT: last time I was at the dealership it was $600 for a timing job. I was just picking up parts but I made sure to let them know how ridiculous that was after I read it on one of their signs.