The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Craftsman Tool Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31354)

michael 02-05-2006 09:12 AM

Craftsman Tool Question

I have about 50 old sockets and 25 standard size wrenches that I have a feeling I am never going to use. What options do I have as far as returning/exchanging them. Do I have to damage them? I could really use a set of large deep well metric sockets or ratcheting metric wrenches. Also, do any automotive manufacturers even use standard size hardware?

SVXer95 02-05-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
I have about 50 old sockets and 25 standard size wrenches that I have a feeling I am never going to use. What options do I have as far as returning/exchanging them. Do I have to damage them? I could really use a set of large deep well metric sockets or ratcheting metric wrenches. Also, do any automotive manufacturers even use standard size hardware?

Throw them away and buy decent tools. (not crapsman)

Really though, you can't return old tools. You can, however, sell them on ebay.

Mr. Pockets 02-05-2006 12:55 PM

While I don't agree with the above assessment of Craftsman tools, I don't think you can return them for something else. I have had luck returning broken tools for something else, but I imagine your mileage may vary on that one. I had a 3/8" ratchet go bad on me, and when I returned it I asked if I could take one with a longer handle instead. They had no problem with that.

ensteele 02-05-2006 01:23 PM

I don't understand the above statement by SVXer95 about Craftsman, but you can return broken tools, but not return them for others. Sell them and then buy what you want. I have been given old broken Craftsman tools and I took them back and got brand new ones. :) I know some professional mechanics who use that brand as well, but we don't have to get into a debate over tool preference. :D

benebob 02-05-2006 01:40 PM

Everybody's right about Crapsman stuff. Yeah, the quality isn't as good as it was but the sockets are just as strong. The Ratchets though I go through like beer. My father still has the same one from like 68. It isn't a good sign when you go to the counter at Sears and they have a rack of replacement ratchets beside it. At least with Sears you can return them and walk home with another where most of the stuff you need to send it back to the manufacurer.

Manarius 02-05-2006 03:21 PM

I don't believe I've broken a craftsman wrench yet. And I've done my fair share of beating on them...even the ratchets.

michael 02-05-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
I don't believe I've broken a craftsman wrench yet. And I've done my fair share of beating on them...even the ratchets.

It's just a matter of time soon you won't be able to switch directions.

Do they have to be broken to return them? The only reason I bought craftsman in the first place is because of their no hassle replacement warranty. They are decent quality, I have used a lot worse.

mohrds 02-05-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius

I've broken almost every wrench brand out there :eek: . Oddly enough the Cornwell wrenches I have never gave me a problem and being metric, I use them about 90% of the time.

I like being able to exchange a craftsman socket after using a 48" breaker bar with a 6' pipe on it. That is a 1/2" impact socket of course;)

mohrds 02-05-2006 04:13 PM

I have a few Craftsman ratchet wrenches. I usually only buy the kind with removable head cover so I can keep them cleaned and greased. After working in a body shop, you learn real quick what happens if you don't clean the dust out of your tools with movable parts :D

Electrophil 02-05-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrds

I like being able to exchange a craftsman socket after using a 48" breaker bar with a 6' pipe on it. That is a 1/2" impact socket of course;)

:D Reminds me of that crank pulley thread. You aren't kidding, are you? :D

thundering02 02-05-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

I've broken almost every wrench brand out there :eek: . Oddly enough the Cornwell wrenches I have never gave me a problem and being metric, I use them about 90% of the time.

I've buggered a few in this manner.... seriously sell them and get the tools that you do want I might be interested in the wrenches as I have most of the usuall socketts.

michael 02-05-2006 06:47 PM

So do I have to break them to get new ones? They look like crap from sitting in the tools I don't use box.

Mr. Pockets 02-05-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yes. I have a big, heavy piece of pipe laying on my workbench on which I wrote 'The Tool' in Sharpie. I used to have problems getting axle nuts off. Not any more. :)

I would be interested to hear what brand of tool SVXer95 does prefer.

Electrophil 02-05-2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
So do I have to break them to get new ones? They look like crap from sitting in the tools I don't use box.

I just say they slip, or don't lock on properly. I've never had a sales rep check. They just go into auto mode, and replace it. :)

Noir 02-06-2006 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Yes. I have a big, heavy piece of pipe laying on my workbench on which I wrote 'The Tool' in Sharpie. I used to have problems getting axle nuts off. Not any more. :)

I would be interested to hear what brand of tool SVXer95 does prefer.

the bestest unbreakable kind of course!!!!!!

silly nick, trix is for kids! :)