The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   SVX, Phase Two (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56310)

svxfiles 01-07-2011 07:57 PM

SVX, Phase Two

*Subaru SVX, Phase Two
I have been giving a lot of thought to what mods are best to enhance the SVX for a “Normal” SVX owner/driver.
Some of these add life to your SVX, some of them add safety, some enhance steering response, one will help it not to spontainously combust..I have installed all of these mods on many SVXi, and would not recommend them if I did not believe they were worth the time and effort and expense.
There is no limit to what you can do as far as mods go, but all of these are tried for years and proven to be effective.
Where you stop on this list (if you even start) is up to you and your budget.
I realize that there are arguments for and against “the List”, but let us just think of it as a work in progress.
Not included in this list are some things that I believe are really worth it, but the costs are more than $1000.00, and unless you are replacing something broken, just not going to happen for most of you.
The following is my recommendations.
1) HID headlights! Our stock headlights have only 1000 lumens.
Any E-Bay set with a 6000K or lower has 3000 lumens or more.
2) Stainless steel brake lines. These will take much of the spongy feel.
3) DELETING THE FACTORY TRANSMISSION COOLER!!!!!
Please, for the life of your transmission replace the factory one with something .
4) Unplug the sun visor electrical connectors! Over time the sun visor wires will break and set fire to your SVX.5) Polyurethane bushings for the stock front and rear anti-sway bars.
6) The 15 minute Mod and 20 minute Mods.
7) An extra ground wire going from the battery negative to the ground wire at the rear of the intake manifold on the passenger side.
8) Switching to BG Products ATF. Fully synthetic, cooler running, etc.

Again there are lots of other mods that can be done.
But from here on the list gets more expencive.
Some of them have only one provider.;)
I was cautioned not to mention particular providers, only because not mentioned providers would be noticed by their absence.

I hope that this short, almost free list will help some of you.

92 SVX 01-07-2011 08:31 PM

Re: SVX, Phase Two

Thank You for the compilation. I have searched and done several of these and they are very helpful. I Love the way HID's look in this car that was one of the first things I did.
The Visor wires had already broke on mine before I got the car I unplugged them and to fix the droopy, er actually they would not stay up by themselves, visors I just put the passenger one on the drivers side and vise versa and they stay up now, obviously backwards the mirrors face down or out the window depending on position but I do not plan on putting my make up on while driving so I don't care. That last is obviously a joke as im a man.

Conn SVX 10-31-2013 09:01 PM

I think we can now add to this list as we get more experience on what will improve it or make it last....
95 amp alternator
Cross drilled rotors
4:44 tranny after 100,000 miles
Aluminum radiator
Starter relay mod.

Crazy_pilot 11-01-2013 05:12 AM

Power mode switch!

bwb3 11-01-2013 12:36 PM

Regarding #7, what size wire?
Gene

svxfiles 11-01-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 729480)
Regarding #7, what size wire?
Gene

At least an 8 gauge.
A 4 gauge would be great!

SVX92-97 11-01-2013 07:49 PM

Tom, did you do the alternator mod to my car:confused:

svxfiles 11-02-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 729486)
Tom, did you do the alternator mod to my car:confused:

I do not believe that I did the alternator mod to your Black SVX, but I MIGHT have done the "Common Ground Mod" on the back passenger side of the intake manifold, mod.
I know that I at least took off the factory ground wire, wire brushed it, and the manifold, applied dielectric grease, and re-attached it.