The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   4.44 or 5MT?!?! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37713)

Michael Blue 03-02-2007 10:45 AM

4.44 or 5MT?!?!

Hey there!

My beautiful but currently sad '92 Pearlie is down for the count...Transmission, front and center diff, and front CV joints...When it rains, it pours.

I'm in the Midwestern wasteland of SVX oblivion; there aren't even many Subarus of ANY kind here, much less our Giugiaro-designed space ships!!
So there isn't anyone here who knows what they are or how to properly work on them.

I'm probably going to have Budfreak put in a 4.44 or 4.11 conversion with his external cooler and filter, but I wondered if he or anyone else could do a complete 5MT swap for about the same money.

I'm shipping the car to Ohio for him, so about the same distance from IL would be no big deal if someone else can do a 5MT.

I'd have about $2K TOTAL including parts and labor...

Let me know if you (or someone you know of) could do a 5MT for about that.

At this point, I'm just looking forward to having her back on the road, but I'd like to never have to deal with trans issues again.

Thanks!

svxcess 03-02-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Blue
Hey there!

My beautiful but currently sad '92 Pearlie is down for the count...Transmission, front and center diff, and front CV joints...When it rains, it pours.

I'm in the Midwestern wasteland of SVX oblivion; there aren't even many Subarus of ANY kind here, much less our Giugiaro-designed space ships!!
So there isn't anyone here who knows what they are or how to properly work on them.

I'm probably going to have Budfreak put in a 4.44 or 4.11 conversion with his external cooler and filter, but I wondered if he or anyone else could do a complete 5MT swap for about the same money. NO. A price of a good 5-speed WRX tranny alone is about $1500.

I'm shipping the car to Ohio for him, so about the same distance from IL would be no big deal if someone else can do a 5MT.

I'd have about $2K TOTAL including parts and labor. For this amount, you should be able to get the complete 4.44 swap and your CV joints.

Let me know if you (or someone you know of) could do a 5MT for about that. We would all like to know that! You maybe could find someone to do it if you supplied all the parts.

At this point, I'm just looking forward to having her back on the road, but I'd like to never have to deal with trans issues again.

Stick with the 4.44 swap. You will not be sorry.It is the most bang for your buck as far as performance and reliability go. Everyone I know (including my son's pearlie) has loved it. Newsvx just had it done for his 92 for autocrossing and track use. He is very impressed and satisfied as well. With the 4.44 you get
........36% more torque in first gear
........31% more torque in second gear
........25% more torque in third gear
........25% more torque in fourth gear

A 5MT/6MT swap with all the parts and labor should be around $5000. Here is a list of parts needed for the swap:

5/6mt assembly
5/6mt shift linkage
5/6mt starter
Helicoil kit for starter stud (late model transmissions)
5/6mt slave cylinder (hydro only)
5/6mt Master cylinder (hydro only)
Hydro clutch line (both hard line and soft lines)
Neutral Safety Switch (for pedal box)
Brake/Clutch Pedal assembly
Clutch Kit (disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing)
Flywheel (transmission specific)
Flywheel bolts (longer than flex plate bolts)
Pressure plate bolts
Transmission mount
Rear shift linkage mount (stock or homemade)
Matching rear differential (n/a for wrx transmissions)
2" extended driveshaft
5/6 quarts of gear oil

... and labor at around $2500

AlcyoneDaze 03-02-2007 01:32 PM

Wow... I was thinking more like $1k for the transmission and differential out of a Forester/Outback, maybe a couple hundred for missing/fukt parts and $1800 for TOMSVX to install it.

Is 3k more reasonable than 5-6k? thats a big difference

Crazy_pilot 03-02-2007 02:10 PM

It CAN be done for much cheaper than 5-6K, from what I've read. A cable clutch, slightly older trans, if you can get into some sort of U-Pull yard and yank your own trans and parts you may be able to save a ton on parts, if you're up for some wrenching.

All other things being equal, I'd go for a manual trans. I'll take a manual anything over it's auto equivalent any day.

Nomake Wan 03-02-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
My Shop is now open for business. I am not containing this merely to working on cars but also produing parts.

5/6mt kits will be available... (may want to check the thread in my signature for more deatails)-$800

Rear Bearing Full Assemblies(Full hub minus the parking brake with new bearings pressed in and seals)- $500

Group N motor mounts (Mounts along with modified SVX brackets) $200

Possibly headers... I will be toying with headers on my silver to increase exhaust flow and they may be available through me- $TBD

ok now for the actual labor on the car

5mt conversion- $1800
6mt conversion- $2000
auto replacement- $500
Auto upgrade(4.11/4.44)- $800
Engine replacement- $500
Stage 3 install- $300
Timing belt/waterpump/frontseal replacement $250

Anything else will usually be charged hourly, $75 per hour and I will garentee my work but not used parts. Any questions please feel free to PM me.

Your loyal SVX mechanic

Tom

So is Tom still doing these?

Hocrest 03-02-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
So is Tom still doing these?

yes.......

svxcuseme 03-02-2007 04:18 PM

If you're a mechanically inclined, have tools, jack, welder or access to one, and some patience you can do the 5MT install, for much much less then 3k if you pull the parts yourself.

Agree that manual is the way to go. I've driven both and the stick is a blast!. If you're paying for someone else to do it, I'd drop the extra cash for the 5MT. Nothing like dropping the shifter into 4th at 65mph and feeling the SVX smoothly glide past others. I will never go back to the Auto for my daily driving. I feel totally connected to the car. And the 3.3 sounds bad a$$ at 4000rpm. My experience is, you can drive a manual trans until the wheels fall. I've yet to see an Auto outlast a Manual trans, which means longevity, with less headache, for the SVX. :D

Good luck!

P.S. You can get an idea on what 5MT parts might cost at a regular auto salvage yard from http://car-part.com Keep in mind all prices are negotiable so multiply all parts by 70% and you'll have a good estimate.

Michael Blue 03-02-2007 06:44 PM

I just don't have access to parts or the personal knowhow to do the manual myself, and unless someone wants to step up to offer these to the community for the same $ as the Auto, it'll be out of my budget for now...

I'd LOVE to go manual, but the budget I have for the 4.44 is all I have, for either option...

Also, I need the car to be running ASAP, so waiting on myself to figure out and complete a manual swap isn't an option right now...

demonsvx 03-02-2007 08:31 PM

I did the 4.44 auto swap in June 2006 and am pleased(or should I say my wife is pleased:rolleyes: ) with the results. I waited almost 3 years to do to the swap(new house job etc) but only paid $550 for the trans and rear diff and done all the work myself in natures garage . You can find people to do the swap and its not really that hard to do yourself just take your time. Good luck with it.
Damian

TomsSVX 03-02-2007 11:05 PM

you know Mike... I have a pearly 5mt... It wouldn't take much to get me to trade you your's for mine plus a little extra. I have a couple good trannies for her here

tom

pavanbabut 03-02-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
you know Mike... I have a pearly 5mt... It wouldn't take much to get me to trade you your's for mine plus a little extra. I have a couple good trannies for her here

tom

Mike, this seems a very good option for u. Since Tom has got a 5mt pearlie for sale, you can virtually have your own car with you, if you can trade-in your car and little extra money as Tom said and not doubt about his work as every knows tht its bullet proof. Hope you end up with good decision.
-Pavan

Michael Blue 03-03-2007 10:27 AM

LOL! I saw that on your site, and I've been debating it since I saw it.

I'd have to swap the trunk and the little side things by the rear windows; mine are color-matched, but I didn't think you'd mind that...

The real issue would be the massive dent on the rear 1/4 panel. I have no idea what it would cost to have that repaired and painted; not that pearl is easy to match.

I am considering it though...What difference $ did you have in mind?

Budfreak 03-03-2007 05:16 PM

I'm back in town and ready to go for you.;) Just let me know when you want me to get the car.

TomsSVX 03-03-2007 05:54 PM

send me some pics and all other info on your car. Instead of using your parts, it would be better to have my trunk lid and side pieces painted to match my pearly because yours is probobly slightly different. I will check on the prices on doing this.

tom

Michael Blue 03-03-2007 09:32 PM

I got confused...The Ohio guy I've been talking to about my trans also has a '92 pearlie 5MT for sale, but it is much less expensive than yours. It has some paint/body issues, I believe that's the reason for the price, I think.

Anyways, I don't think i could afford yours, even with trading mine, so I apologize for any confusion and/or misunderstanding as it was all completely my doing. :)