The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Popeyed rotors"...or "Slip me a disc" (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1300)

SVXphile 08-24-2001 06:03 PM

"Popeyed rotors"...or "Slip me a disc"

Me front discs have been "turned all they can be turned, and they can't be turned no more". They are so thin you can see through them. After all the dust that has been generated on this topic....

....is there anything that is PROVEN to outlast and resist warping better than OE?:confused: Don

vkykam 08-24-2001 07:51 PM

Re: "Popeyed rotors"...or "Slip me a disc"

If you believe all the testimony of cryo-treatment, that's one route you can take.

My brand spanking new rotors arrived yesterday (WooHoo!). Bendix rotors, appeared on eBay for ... $39.99 ... a PAIR! Irony is, I paid $33 for shipping, and another $22USD for brokerage and taxes into Canada. But still, what a score!

I'm trying to set up an appointment with a local cryo-treatment shop next week to deep freeze them.

But I guess by the time you get my first-hand opinion of it, it might be a little too late for you. ;)

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Me front discs have been "turned all they can be turned, and they can't be turned no more". They are so thin you can see through them. After all the dust that has been generated on this topic....

....is there anything that is PROVEN to outlast and resist warping better than OE?:confused: Don

SVXphile 08-24-2001 08:06 PM

Frozen rotors

<But I guess by the time you get my first-hand opinion of it, it might be a little too late for you>

Oh I think I can hang in there awhile longer.....

...I'll just open the door and drag my foot at slow speeds, and use my parachute at higher ones!:D

Keep me updated VK; thanks for the reply!:)

vkykam 08-24-2001 08:30 PM

Re: Frozen rotors

You could also dig a hole in the floor, and do it a la Flintstone style. :D

VK

Quote:

...I'll just open the door and drag my foot at slow speeds, and use my parachute at higher ones!:D

Keep me updated VK; thanks for the reply!:)

dromano 08-24-2001 09:30 PM

Re: "Popeyed rotors"...or "Slip me a disc"

Quote:

Don. ARt, one of the links here has cryo cad plated grooved in three colors, I got silver, $300 a pair plus pads plus UPS. I have about 200 miles on them, then my wiper motor quit. I think these rotors are the ones, ARt claims 200% better than OE. Only problem I had with them was terrible communication. :) :cool: :mad:

vkykam 08-24-2001 09:36 PM

Re: Re: "Popeyed rotors"...or "Slip me a disc"

I was thinking about the ART ones as well, but one of my trusty mechanic (who has a racing license, and a modified 944 Turbo) recommended against slotted rotors, saying that they will chew through pads like there is no tomorrow.

He seems to think that cross-drilled is the better way to go, but I'm not convinced of the benefits of that either.

I was going to get the el cheapo Aimco rotors from Autozone for $61/piece, and get them cryo-treated for approx. $30/disc. But being the el cheapo that I am, and that I got lucky, hello, Bendix rotors. :)

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by dromano
Don. ARt, one of the links here has cryo cad plated grooved in three colors, I got silver, $300 a pair plus pads plus UPS. I have about 200 miles on them, then my wiper motor quit. I think these rotors are the ones, ARt claims 200% better than OE. Only problem I had with them was terrible communication. :) :cool: :mad:

SVXphile 08-25-2001 07:53 AM

Cross-drilled vs. slotted

Thanks for the input guys! I do have a mental picture of a slotted rotor acting like some kind of Vegeamatic on pads, but that is why I'm asking; I haven't a clue as to the best way to go.

Do these ART folks have a website? Don

dromano 08-25-2001 08:32 AM

Re: Cross-drilled vs. slotted

Quote:

Thanks for the input guys! I do have a mental picture of a slotted rotor acting like some kind of Vegeamatic on pads, but that is why I'm asking; I haven't a clue as to the best way to go.

Do these ART folks have a website? Don

ARt has a link here, the first link in the 'PARTS' section.