The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OT: 2005 Outback ILLin' (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35769)

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2006 07:25 AM

OT: 2005 Outback ILLin'

My wifer called me this morning about a weird problem with her Outback. The trip meter is showing 'ILL.5' instead of the mileage. Poking around, I have found that the message is supposed to come up when you adjust the dimmer for the console lights. Of course, like other people who seem to have experienced this problem, my wife wasn't touching this knob at the time.

Anybody else experience this problem with any other Subaru? I see some suggestion online that this has happened to other Subaru models, but I haven't seen a fix for it.

Thanks.

msvx95 10-23-2006 08:05 AM

whoa!! I'm thinking analog meter....that would be interesting...... LOL

shelfy 10-23-2006 08:44 AM

my first thought is that the dial is between two settings. does it go away if she tries to move it?

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy
my first thought is that the dial is between two settings. does it go away if she tries to move it?

I think that you're close to the actual problem - I suspect that either the dial itself, or the wiring for it, is bad. The car's still under warranty, so I'm going to have to call the dealer up...again. They're going to get really tired of me. :)

msvx95 10-23-2006 09:36 AM

Hey, you and wife are the customers and it's an inconvenience, so oh well if the dealership gets tired of it. Good luck, I'm curious what the problem would be.

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
Hey, you and wife are the customers and it's an inconvenience, so oh well if the dealership gets tired of it. Good luck, I'm curious what the problem would be.

Well, this would be the third time I've brought it to them with warranty complaints. I don't know the actual cost of the parts they replaced last time, but I am willing to bet it was over a grand, plus labor. Ah, well, I'm sure the dealer gets paid for that stuff the same as they would for anything else.

I will post what I find, but if anybody has had this problem in any of their Subarus, by all means tell me your story. :)

Earthworm 10-23-2006 01:21 PM

Maybe you're reading it upside down?

5771 :D

...as in how much it's going to cost to fix.

Mr. Pockets 10-23-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Maybe you're reading it upside down?

5771 :D

...as in how much it's going to cost to fix.

Then it'd be '0000,' because it's still under warranty. :p

Landshark 10-24-2006 12:32 PM

it is most likely stuck between postions as shelfy said - give it a couple spins up and down to loosen it up.

good that you asked it here and not LegacyGT.com - you would have been skewered. it is roughly equivalent to asking about the JDM twin turbo SVX police car here. :D

Mr. Pockets 10-24-2006 01:41 PM

Why would I have posted it on LegacyGT.com? I don't have a Legacy GT. Are they real hostile there? Is this a common problem that new members post about without searching?

I wanted to submit it to some Outback forum, but they do manual authentication of new users, and so far they haven't found the time to authenticate my account yet.

shelfy 10-24-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Why would I have posted it on LegacyGT.com? I don't have a Legacy GT. Are they real hostile there? Is this a common problem that new members post about without searching?

your ootback's problem is something that could occur on any legacy/outback, so someone may have had the same issue. as for hostility, i wouldn't say it is, but you won't be greeted with open arms like one would here. :)

huck369 10-25-2006 05:33 AM

Try unhooking the battery overnight.....
Might re-set back to standard settings...

Landshark 10-25-2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

you do realize the Outback is just a jacked-up Legacy with smaller brakes and different styling bits, right? they're not real hostile, but that is a common "DO A SEARCH!" item and you would get 2 pages of jokers posting, "OMG, that code means your engine is going to explodz! LOLOL!" :rolleyes:

there's an Outback sub-forum, and most How-To's and other FAQ's apply across the LGT and Ootback models.

you may want to disable the annoying seatbelt chimes if you haven't already... ;)

Mr. Pockets 10-25-2006 09:13 AM

Yes, I realize the Outback basically a lifted Legacy. But the forum is called 'LegacyGT.com.' For all I know, joining it would mean I'd get a whole bunch of replies calling me a poser.

I saw the thread you linked me to. I think it was some time before the poster got any kind of a real answer. :rolleyes:

Of course we have the same thing here, but instead of the jokes you just get people who don't know what they're talking about. :p

Landshark 10-25-2006 09:36 AM

Quote:

Yes, I realize the Outback basically a lifted Legacy. But the forum is called 'LegacyGT.com.' For all I know, joining it would mean I'd get a whole bunch of replies calling me a poser.

I saw the thread you linked me to. I think it was some time before the poster got any kind of a real answer. :rolleyes:

Of course we have the same thing here, but instead of the jokes you just get people who don't know what they're talking about. :p

that site is mainly for 2005+ Legacy's and Outbacks. the How-To sections are good. i don't post there much (the humor there is kinda strange :confused: ), but i'll do a search if i need to find something.