The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Thank you (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23978)

newportclaret 01-21-2005 10:55 PM

Thank you

Hi SVXers

Thanks Joe for your squeaky tips - much appreciated - husband, clearly touchy about mid-life crisis, not in the least bit capable nor interested in car maintenance - why is that?

Arthur, no need to be paranoid about theft - SVX mafia on the case - who needs a police force - it's just one big Private Investigation company - worldwide!!

Must go, Evian water delivery arrived for next car wash!
Newport Claret wife

svxistentialist 01-23-2005 12:33 PM

Re: Thank you

Quote:

Originally posted by newportclaret
Hi SVXers

Thanks Joe for your squeaky tips - much appreciated - husband, clearly touchy about mid-life crisis, not in the least bit capable nor interested in car maintenance - why is that?

He could have more important things around the house that need maintaining. I respect that

Arthur, no need to be paranoid about theft - SVX mafia on the case - who needs a police force - it's just one big Private Investigation company - worldwide!!

Must go, Evian water delivery arrived for next car wash!
Newport Claret wife
[/QUOTE]

:D :D

newportclaret 01-24-2005 02:52 AM

Squeaky brakes

Another maintenance question!
Does anyone else have squeaky brakes - when coasting at about 40km/h around the bends of streets our brakes squeak/squeal like old Volvos and the whole street knows we're coming home - a foible of all SVXs or just ours?:confused:

svxistentialist 01-24-2005 05:22 AM

Re: Squeaky brakes

Quote:

Another maintenance question!
Does anyone else have squeaky brakes - when coasting at about 40km/h around the bends of streets our brakes squeak/squeal like old Volvos and the whole street knows we're coming home - a foible of all SVXs or just ours?:confused:

It's old age. I'm starting to get a bit squeeky myself.:rolleyes: :D

You need to service the calipers, start with the fronts. They are most likely at fault since the squeak happens on bends.

The calipers have thin plates alonside the pads to stop this noise. The plates should have a light coat of grease on to allow them move about a bit without the squeak.

Make sure no grease gets near the surface of the pads, or the brakes won't work, a worse problem.

While you have them out, it would be good to make sure the pistons slide in and out easily[no dirt], and the rubber seals on the pistons are good.

That should sort the problem.

Joe:)

newportclaret 01-24-2005 01:51 PM

Thanks again Joe - perhaps our claret is an SVXhibitionist and wants everyone to know she's coming!;) :D
Have a good one
Karin

svxistentialist 01-24-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks again Joe - perhaps our claret is an SVXhibitionist and wants everyone to know she's coming!;) :D
Have a good one
Karin

They all are, Karin!

Exhibitionists, I mean.

I like to keep mine quiet as possible too. No sense letting the Law know you are on your way.

:D